2000 XR650r - Smoking after start

7 replies to this topic
  • OcoeeG

Posted May 17, 2006 - 03:53 AM

I just bought a 2000 xr650r that I have been working on dual sporting. It is just about done!!!! Can't wait to get it out of the garage. I have noticed it smokes some after I start it up until it gets warm. Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue. I hope it is nothing serious. It has been uncorked (not by me). PLEASE HELP.

• bigtooth

Posted May 17, 2006 - 05:10 AM

I have an '91 xr600r, it used to smoke pretty seriously when I would start it up, but only sometimes, and espesically after it sat for a while. This winter I replaced the intake valves and had them re-seated, I also honed the cylindar and put in new rings and piston. It doesn't smoke at all anymore. The guys that did my valve job said the leaky valve seals could have caused my symptoms.

• creeky

Posted May 17, 2006 - 05:27 AM

It's probably leaky valve stem seals.

• motopsycho650

Posted May 17, 2006 - 07:11 AM

What kind of smoke is it? Is it grey fuel smoke, or white oil smoke. If it's oil smoke, you may have a bit of blow-by comming from the rings. If it's fuel smoke, you could have worn valves, or you could just have the pilot jet running a bit rich.

If it is a leaky valve issue, you should have some power cut-out in the top end. get the bike good and warmed up, and get it up into the high RPM's, see if it misses at all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpmeister

Posted May 17, 2006 - 08:12 PM

The larger Honda XR's are known to smoke a little on start-up. A little smoke is normal, but if it looks like a diesel on a cold morning, then you have a problem.

• Jayzonk

Posted May 17, 2006 - 10:13 PM

I just bought a 2000 xr650r that I have been working on dual sporting. It is just about done!!!! Can't wait to get it out of the garage. I have noticed it smokes some after I start it up until it gets warm. Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue. I hope it is nothing serious. It has been uncorked (not by me). PLEASE HELP.

Some bikes just need to smoke a little before they really get going. There's nothing you can do - your bike has to be committed to quitting smoking. It's a personal decision. :ride:
................groan....................groan.................groan..................

• OcoeeG

Posted May 18, 2006 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. So the general concensus is that it is the valve seals. I gather that this is not super serious and it can wait for a little while to be remedied. I just got her street legal yesterday and can't wait to take some DS rides. Thanks for the help.

Chris G

• creeky

Posted May 18, 2006 - 08:23 AM

If all you are seeing is a little of puff of smoke on startup, no more smoke after a brief warmup and you are not adding oil, I wouldn't worry about it until such time as the head has to come off anyway.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.