sag amount vs. No. of turns on ring nut?

4 replies to this topic
  • imported_Scott_H

Posted October 24, 2001 - 03:44 PM

I had no luck with my search on this topic even though I remember reading it maybe a year ago or so...

Does anybody have a rule of thumb on how many turns it takes on the spring pre-load ring nut that will give you about 5mm of race sag?

• Mook

Posted October 24, 2001 - 04:07 PM

I don't know if it is the same for the WR250F, which is what I have. But one turn = 1.5mm so you would be about 3 1/3 turns.

better get confirmation from a big bore though.

mook

------------------

2001 WR250F
1975 KZ900 - project bike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted October 25, 2001 - 04:08 AM

I don't think 3.5 turns is right. That's the shock travel difference, not the sag difference (5.5" of shock travel=over 12" of suspension travel)

I've found that slight movements in the rings make a BIG difference here. Mark where you are with a crayon so we can guage how far you turned the rings. Try just 3 "knotches" first and measure...IMHO

• Bryce_Senff

Posted October 25, 2001 - 11:51 AM

I would think that the number of turns of the ring nut and resulting sag would be dependent on the weight of rider and gear. What do I know though?...I work in a grocery store.
My .02
Good Luck,
Bryce

------------------
Bryce Senff
WMRRA #201
WR426F
TL1000SV
CBR900RR
Oh it's Good to Be Back on a Dirtbike!

• BlueThunder

Posted October 25, 2001 - 12:16 PM

Gotta go with Bryce on this one...race sag will be determined by rider weight w/ gear...
free sag will be determined by how worked over the rear spring is(even fresh springs will have a slight variations if you throw them on a spring tester)....no way to determine these settings by # of turns unless you were consistent on the rest of the variables in the equation. Turn and measure is still the accurate way to set sag.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.