Question regarding MX stand for 03 YZ450

3 replies to this topic
  • YzGuy79

Posted May 16, 2006 - 09:33 PM

OK it's late, I'm bored so this may sound stupid.

I have a aluminum (non-lifting) stand for my 450. Just the square one with a rubber top and tool tray.
Anyhow, I've noticed when I put the bike on the stand, with the engine directly over the stand, the front wheel is off the ground and the rear is down. If I move the bike far enough front to turn the back wheel (changing tires, sprokets, etc.) the engine is no longer supported by the stand :ride:
Of course not a big deal, just something odd I've noticed.

Anyone else notice this? Are these bikes balanced funny or what?

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2006 - 07:09 AM

I'm not at all sure what you mean by "engine not supported". If you slide the bike far enough forward on the stand, it starts to sit on the shock linkage, and gets wobbly. I promise you that if you remove the rear axle, the front wheel will sit on the ground.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted May 17, 2006 - 09:57 AM

The alum stand you have has a limited area for the bike to sit on, I also have one that is now a shop seat.....the newer liftstands are made for the heavier 4 strokes and have larger surface area for the bike frame to sit on...avoid the older alum lift stand with the alum feet - they bend to hell and back... :ride:

• YzGuy79

Posted May 18, 2006 - 05:02 PM

:ride:

avoid the older alum lift stand with the alum feet - they bend to hell and back...

Come to think of it it did look like the legs were a little bowed last time I looked at it. The one I have is 10yrs old, back from my 80 & 125 racing days!

I'm not at all sure what you mean by "engine not supported". If you slide the bike far enough forward on the stand, it starts to sit on the shock linkage, and gets wobbly. I promise you that if you remove the rear axle, the front wheel will sit on the ground.

Well, when the bike is sitting stable on the stand ,the cylinder and carb are not actually on top of the stand, they're hanging out over nothing.

Like I said no big issue (unless it falls :busted: ) just something I've noticed. Us first time 4 stroke buyers are full of strange ???? :banana:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.