bought '89 xr600r, have a few questions

8 replies to this topic
  • posersteve

Posted May 16, 2006 - 07:28 PM

Hello,

I just bought a street legal XR600 with supermoto wheels and haev a few questions.

1. How hard is it to convert to rear disc brake (where to mount master cylinder, caliper? new hub? etc)

2. How do I setup the compression release? It has no cable/perch setup.

3. Will any front rotor from an XR600 fit it? EBC sells a rotor I want to buy, but at work the catalog says that it only fits 91-97.

4. I bought a center stand (non lift style, just basic stand). I am wearing my muscles out tryi8ng to get this thing on there...and tips?

5. Who makes a different throttle for this bike? The one I have seems extremely stiff and is a little beat up.

Any input is appreciated (help with #4 especially). Thanks in advance.

steve

• xr500_89

Posted May 16, 2006 - 08:26 PM

ah another fellow street legal 89 xr600 owner welcome to the forum instead of a stand try getting a kick stand for it should be easier

• posersteve

Posted May 16, 2006 - 09:57 PM

ah another fellow street legal 89 xr600 owner welcome to the forum instead of a stand try getting a kick stand for it should be easier

thanks for the welcome! the bike already has a kickstand, but I plan on putting new tires on it soon, so I need to be able to get it up on the stand soon. my regular old sportbike stands are too wide!

• cleonard

Posted May 16, 2006 - 10:44 PM

Hello,

I just bought a street legal XR600 with supermoto wheels and haev a few questions.

1. How hard is it to convert to rear disc brake (where to mount master cylinder, caliper? new hub? etc)

2. How do I setup the compression release? It has no cable/perch setup.

3. Will any front rotor from an XR600 fit it? EBC sells a rotor I want to buy, but at work the catalog says that it only fits 91-97.

4. I bought a center stand (non lift style, just basic stand). I am wearing my muscles out tryi8ng to get this thing on there...and tips?

5. Who makes a different throttle for this bike? The one I have seems extremely stiff and is a little beat up.

Any input is appreciated (help with #4 especially). Thanks in advance.

steve

1. Not easy. Need to replace swingarm, rear wheel, etc. from a later model.

2. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to have a handlebar mounted manual comp release. Cheapest would be to get one off of ebay. It has an internal comp release for starting. The manual one is more for clearing it out after the bike is on it's side and it floods.

3. Not sure, but I think they are different pre 91.

4. You don't need weights for weight training, you have a XR600 instead. After you do it a few hundred times it'll be easy. I'm a big strong guy and I have problems with lifting my pig. I might get one of those hydraulic bike lifts that Pep Boys has for $50 on sale.

5. The stock one is not the greatest. Before buying anything new, try lubing the cables and cleaning the throttle assembly on the handlebars.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DSTerry

Posted May 17, 2006 - 12:30 AM

Best way to lift your bike onto that stand is to first position your front tire right where you want it in front of the stand, the rest of the bike will be at an angle. Then grab it right above the exhuast pipe on the subframe right behind the rear seat. I always use my right hip to help lift and support the weight of the bike as I swing it over the stand.

I've probably done it 1000's of times over the last 15 years, but you'll find what works for you the easiest.

I also have an '89 XR600 and converted it to rear disc. Take a look at my pictures here and at this post .

Hope this helps.

• posersteve

Posted May 17, 2006 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for the responses...keep em coming!

• Motomofo1

Posted May 17, 2006 - 04:02 PM

posersteve, you dork... i already showed you how to put that thing on a stand :ride: . im a scrawny little punk and i had no problems.

• posersteve

Posted May 17, 2006 - 04:23 PM

posersteve, you dork... i already showed you how to put that thing on a stand :banana: . im a scrawny little punk and i had no problems.

i tried it again and couldnt friggin get it. i need to pay more attention i guess :ride:

• Motomofo1

Posted May 17, 2006 - 06:00 PM

those sportbike stands make you lazy, i guess. :ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.