Best mods for the 426

11 replies to this topic
  • kid on a 426

Posted May 16, 2006 - 06:28 PM

Hey guys I've had my bike for a few months now and got some money thats burning a hole in my pocket. What have been the best mods that you guys would suggest. My budget is about $450. Here is what I was thinking.

Unabiker Rad guards
Utah skid plate
Put new fork seals springs and change the oil front and rear and do all the labor my self
Rejet (not sure what needle size to go to so I might need some help there.)
New back tire

What do you guys think? That would be the ultimate trail bike in my opinion.

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2006 - 07:31 PM

1> YZ450 Cam mod.

2> 2001 YZ426 clutch mod

3> Rejet

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted May 16, 2006 - 07:51 PM

Best Mods I have done hands down to my 426 has been the front suspension & Exhaust. Sent my forks off to Pro-Action for heavier springs and a rebuild. Bike handles & corners - night and day better. Very little front-end push. Scraping the crappy front Dunlop 739 for a Maxiss IT was a good cheap mod as well. Installed a White Brothers E-Series Silencer a couple of months ago. It increased the power while seeming to smooth the delivery/hit out a bit + it is tunable for different riding conditions. Also included an approved spark arrestor which was a must for some of the planned riding areas for this summer. Only complaint is that it is still a little loud.

I haven't done the 2001 Clutch mod because my clutch is fine & haven't experienced the grabby clutch people talk about. I bought the bike used so not sure it the clutch has been modified. The Cam Mod is a must as mentioned and is next on my list.

• Raven1911

Posted May 16, 2006 - 08:07 PM

1> YZ450 Cam mod.

2> 2001 YZ426 clutch mod

3> Rejet

2nd that opinion! The cam mod is by far the best money I have ever spent on my bike!! :ride: :banana:

• cowboyona426

Posted May 16, 2006 - 08:37 PM

what grayracer said, plus a good aftermarket can if you don't already have one. The Thunder Alley does wonders for a 426 but will break your budget if you do the other suggested mods. If you're riding trails, you'll also want to gear down and/or add a flywheel weight.

• JSanfilippo

Posted May 16, 2006 - 11:40 PM

what grayracer said, plus a good aftermarket can if you don't already have one. The Thunder Alley does wonders for a 426 but will break your budget if you do the other suggested mods. If you're riding trails, you'll also want to gear down and/or add a flywheel weight.

I've heard kid on a 426's bike and its about as loud as most state parks will allow. If he took the quiet insert out of his PMB end cap the rangers would be all over him on the sound deal. This is California we're talking about :busted: :banana: :ride: damn I hate these laws!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • REBELEX

Posted May 17, 2006 - 12:28 AM

change the needle to an OBEKQ, on third clip depending on alltitude. It gives more abrupt power than if you were to use the OBEJP needle. I have both and its my pick of the two

or you could get a JD jetting kit....... :ride:

• Goosedog

Posted May 17, 2006 - 04:35 AM

IMO this turned my '02 YZ426 into the ultimate woods machine on a budget: Steahly 12oz flywheel weight (used), Scotts steering damper, Devol & Works Connection guards just about everywhere, Maxxis SI (rear) and IT (front), 13/51 gearing, barkbusters, sealsavers and a WR petcock w/ reserve. Oh and I just cut my front numberplate and added screen to help cooling on tight singletrack. :ride:

• kid on a 426

Posted May 17, 2006 - 04:16 PM

Well I already have 13/51 gearing and wrap around hand guards. Jsanfillipo I think my bike scored in the 94-95 range so your right I wouldn't want to go any louder. The cam mod is on its way in a year or two I just have to convince my dad it is worth it. I was thinking about going to a trials tire for summer. What do you guys think? Have you guys had good luck with one? Which one is best? Or should I go with a Maxxis IT Desert.

• 642MX

Posted May 17, 2006 - 06:25 PM

1. Auto decompression cam
2. Rekluse Auto Clutch
3. JD Jet kit

• getdrunk

Posted May 18, 2006 - 07:01 AM

Well I already have 13/51 gearing and wrap around hand guards. Jsanfillipo I think my bike scored in the 94-95 range so your right I wouldn't want to go any louder. The cam mod is on its way in a year or two I just have to convince my dad it is worth it. I was thinking about going to a trials tire for summer. What do you guys think? Have you guys had good luck with one? Which one is best? Or should I go with a Maxxis IT Desert.

my gearing is 14/38 :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2006 - 08:48 AM

my gearing is 14/38 :ride:

You have a quad. Your gearing is irrelevant. Why are you out of school? Have another drink.

I was thinking about going to a trials tire for summer. What do you guys think? Or should I go with a Maxxis IT Desert.

A trials tire will not have anything like the bite you need for a 426. Don't even consider it. The Maxxis IT is a very good tire that is reasonably inexpensive and lasts longer than any tire I know. The Desert IT is unnecessarily heavy, IMO.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.