Valve adjust and harder kicking?

11 replies to this topic
  • Kritter

Posted May 16, 2006 - 06:20 PM

We all saw my valve adjust shenanigans thread...so I get it together enough to fire up today and it seems to kick a bit harder, took a few kicks more to start and seemed like the valves were much noisier then normal.

Intakes are at .006" exh are at .008" I did them to where the next higher size wouldnt fit in so I wouldnt say they are loose. Intakes were initially at .004" prior to adjustment.

Any ideas?

It wasnt this loud prior to adjustment so I dont know why its this loud now...

• captb

Posted May 16, 2006 - 06:35 PM

You sure the decompressor didn't start to engage while adjusting?

• XR4DEZ

Posted May 16, 2006 - 06:50 PM

Mine usually kicks harder after an adjustment to, or at least it seems that way. As for the noise, where's it seem to be loudest?

• qadsan

Posted May 16, 2006 - 06:51 PM

By any chance did you also just install a new aluminum skid plate at this time or very recently? If so, you'll hear a lot more noise from the engine than you normally would hear with the stock plastic skid plate or no skid plate installed.

Does it run OK except for the noisy valve train?

• Max Power

Posted May 16, 2006 - 06:53 PM

We all saw my valve adjust shenanigans thread...so I get it together enough to fire up today and it seems to kick a bit harder, took a few kicks more to start and seemed like the valves were much noisier then normal.

Intakes are at .006" exh are at .008" I did them to where the next higher size wouldnt fit in so I wouldnt say they are loose. Intakes were initially at .004" prior to adjustment.

Any ideas?

Soooooooo... you loosened the valves and now they are making more noise. Weird.

• Kritter

Posted May 16, 2006 - 07:28 PM

By any chance did you also just install a new aluminum skid plate at this time or very recently? If so, you'll hear a lot more noise from the engine than you normally would hear with the stock plastic skid plate or no skid plate installed.

Does it run OK except for the noisy valve train?

The skid plate is off so I could get the side case cover off to get it to TDC properly...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kritter

Posted May 16, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Soooooooo... you loosened the valves and now they are making more noise. Weird.

Youre tellin me! I adjust my valves on my 450 monthly and Ive never heard a change in valve train noise wether tight or loose.

• motomonte

Posted May 16, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Any ideas?

Does this happens when hot or cold?Hard starting when hot may be due to the lack of clearance as metal expands and the valves go tight (if tight enough you may loose comp.)Anyways if your valves where at .004"prior to adj.then there was no need to adjust.If you didn't do any other adjustments then you should check the clearances again in case you got them adjusted wrong (it can happen,I mean the TDC marks just a little off by a few degrees can be a difference of a few thou's)The ticking sound means they're loose nonetheless.Justmy2cts. :banana: Dont forgett to let us know of your results as this will hone our troubleshooting knowledge..... :ride:

• Kritter

Posted May 16, 2006 - 07:49 PM

well I tore the tank off and fired it up...louder. Pulled the caps off and checked...still .006" is that not the spec? I thought it was .006" +/-.001" for intake and .008" +/-.001 for the exh. am I wrong?

• qadsan

Posted May 16, 2006 - 08:17 PM

You got it right.

Intake = 0.006" +/- 0.001"
Exhaust = 0.008" +/- 0.001"

For best accuracy, make sure your engine is stone cold when checking the clearances. Your flywheel is lined up to the 'T' and not the other mark, yes?

At TDC on the compression stroke, your rocker arms should have a tiny bit of up/down play to them, yes? If not, then something isn't right with the adjustment or alignment of TDC, etc.

• Kritter

Posted May 16, 2006 - 08:56 PM

switched to a 90 degree feeler gage and one of the exh was too loose...guess I wasnt getting the straight gages in their properly...purrs like a kitten now.

One step closer to being ready to prerun! Thanks for the input guys.

• qadsan

Posted May 16, 2006 - 09:04 PM

Those Motion Pro 90 degree feeler gauges are definitely the way to go, or something similar to them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.