xr650r engine popping on decelration

4 replies to this topic
  • jefemig

Posted May 16, 2006 - 02:46 PM

Hello All, I'm buying a 2000 Honda Xr650r converted for the street. I took the bike for a test ride the other day but have only had 2 strokes all my life so didnt know what to expect. Awesome low end and all around power is what I found. My only concern is the deceleration popping. The best way to descibe this is when you let off the gas going down hill the engine pops, bike becomes alittle jerky popping forward. I've experienced this before with a KX500 I had and I'm sure this isnt that noticable in the woods but on road it was annoying. Is this a jetting problem or is this normal for a xr650r. The owner said its been jetted according to the Honda Hop-up and the smog stuff removed. It has a slip on White Bros muffler. I'd like to know what I'm getting into. I dont mind alittle find tuning but dont want to get into a major expense. Is this normal or problems? I'm definately sold on the xr650r as a dual sport!!!

• emyhrer

Posted May 16, 2006 - 03:23 PM

There are quite a few threads about this already. Here's a few:

Decel Backfiring - Jetting?

What causes the popping on de-acceleration?

Another popping question

You may want to do a search in this forum and the jetting forum also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jefemig

Posted May 17, 2006 - 08:30 AM

Thanks! I'm new to this site and tried doing a search but didnt come up with any answers. Thanks for taking the time to send me those other posts. I'm gonna buy this bike and work it out!

• jefemig

Posted May 27, 2006 - 07:37 PM

Actually bought a different 2000 xr650r. This bike does have some engine popping but not like the other I asked about. There is definately some issues where the bike actually lunges forward as it is popping like an internal backfire or something. Anyway this other bike is smooth in comparision.

• xr500_89

Posted May 27, 2006 - 07:38 PM

well if it moves forward when it pops sounds like fuel pooling up. any other i wouldnt wory too much about

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.