yz400 starting issues

3 replies to this topic
  • loanstar

Posted May 16, 2006 - 09:41 AM

I have a 99 YZ400F. I had it for about a year and before that it was in storage for 3 years. It always started on the first or second kick. I never had a problem starting it like others have had till last night. The bike started up on the first kick like usually after ideling for about a min I put the choke back in and the bike shut off. I was unable to start it for about 45 min. I tried everyting hot start, choke on, choke off, pushing it, etc. I had no tools with me. Has a clean air filter, and good gas. I turned off the gas line and kicked it like mad and it finally started. I dont think I flooded it? While started I turned back on the gas. It was fine for the rest of the day. First time having this problem, I will try it again tonight but does anyone have any thoughts or ideals on what to further look into.

• OreoMan

Posted May 16, 2006 - 01:36 PM

Let's start off with the easy checks........have you tried a new plug? :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • One Louder

Posted May 16, 2006 - 08:03 PM

Did you clean the carb really good?

• loanstar

Posted May 17, 2006 - 07:50 AM

Those are both good ideals.

I tried starting it again the last night it stated without a problem like normal. It was hotter then normal that day I had trouble. I think it was something to do with the air mixture screw from talking with friends. Im not a mechanic when it comes to Carbs. I will get a new plug and have a friend help me clean out the carb it cant hurt.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.