'06 WR450 Fork Seal Leaking - Bummer!!

7 replies to this topic
  • phatcat99

Posted May 16, 2006 - 08:29 AM

I bought the bike brand new in Jan. and the right fork seal is already leaking!! :ride: I do A LOT of rock climbing and fast woods riding.....could this be the culprit? Or are the stock seals just junk? A buddy told me to get some 35mm film and run it up in the forks to clean out any dirt and it should stop leaking. Anybody ever heard of this?

• trailordune

Posted May 16, 2006 - 08:54 AM

yes, do it before it gets worse. if you don't have any film a good bike shop should have a cheap tool called seal mate that works a little better. it's just thin plastic with a hook on the end to pull out the dirt. about $3-4. either one should do the trick unless your seal is completely blown. :ride:

• creeky

Posted May 16, 2006 - 09:13 AM

When you run the film (or tool) around the seal lip, pull the lip slightly away from the fork tube and allow a little fork oil to bleed out, this will flush away any crud that might have collected.

• TWILES

Posted May 16, 2006 - 10:23 AM

Mine started leaking 2 months after I got it and the film worked.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • odonnks

Posted May 16, 2006 - 10:54 AM

Once you fix the problem, throw on a pair of seal savers.
http://www.sealsaver...age_ID=1&DID=19

• phatcat99

Posted May 16, 2006 - 11:39 AM

Awesome!! I honestly thought it sounded too weird to be true but I guess I'm wrong. I'll give it at shot and hope it works. Thanks!!

• rich1167

Posted May 16, 2006 - 12:06 PM

The stock slide and piston metals have problems with the Teflon coming off and getting stuck in the seals causing leaks. That is what happened with my right fork with only 150 miles on it. I tried the film trick and it worked for a little while. Then started leaking again after more Teflon got stuck in the seal. If you need to replace the seals make sure to also replace the piston and slide metals. I believe the manual suggests this.

• ARin

Posted May 16, 2006 - 09:33 PM

also, get some fork supports for when you have it strapped to the truck.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.