Should I get a 650?

24 replies to this topic
  • motomonte

Posted May 22, 2006 - 05:55 PM

Well well well,im a machinist too but im 39 and only 5'7".If you can plant your feet flat on the ground you should have no prob.Learn to ride with your feet up in the pegs,this beasts are heavy but then its up to your riding skills,I used to ride smaller bikes and could get away with some antics,but then you mentioned desert riding.XR650 bar none,thats the machine to have

• uncleroby

Posted May 24, 2006 - 01:54 PM

I had an XR600R and now I own 650R.

I buy big bike 'cause I use them as dual sport and commuter and I ride for many miles.

I tried XR250R and XR400R off road: they are much funnier especially if you are not a big guy. With such a bike (not too powerful, easy to handle, etc) as small XR you can climb everywhere especially in the tight and control them better in hard conditions.
Plus they are very reliable bikes.

Otherwise, if you are lookin to strong emotions... then get a BRP or a CRF, with them maybe you will not be faster but you'll be more tired at the end of the run, sure you will feel like riding at a rodeo!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dezrider

Posted May 24, 2006 - 05:06 PM

Go for the XR650R. My 2001 is still running strong!

[IMG][IMG]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/497/im0045287aj.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

• SupermotoAbuser

Posted May 24, 2006 - 05:34 PM

Ok, couple things to remember... The XR won't "coast" like your CR. Compression braking will be way more than you're used to and way more than you think. Just be aware. It will change the way you take sharp corners and down hill whoops (I know you said it was only for desert, but you never know). Also, not sure if you've ever had to kick a big 4 stroke. Watch somebody that knows what they're doing. You can't just thrash away at it like your CR. There's a technique. You'll have to use some restraint on the the throttle. I know your CR has some hit (I used to ride one many moons ago) when it's in the band, but the 650 will have it at 1/4 throttle. Just a blip on an uncorked bike with good traction has nearly bucked me off. On the same note... If you crank on it like you do a 2-smoker you'll be breaking traction all over the place. Concentrate on rolling the throttle not just whackin' it. And for God's sake.... if you get stuck on a hill climb or switch back or whatever, do your wrists a favor..... Let her fall!! She's too big to wrestle with like your CR.
Good luck!!

Thanks for the tips. I know the 650 is gonna be a handfull but im up for the challenge.

• SupermotoAbuser

Posted May 24, 2006 - 05:42 PM

Well well well,im a machinist too but im 39 and only 5'7".If you can plant your feet flat on the ground you should have no prob.Learn to ride with your feet up in the pegs,this beasts are heavy but then its up to your riding skills,I used to ride smaller bikes and could get away with some antics,but then you mentioned desert riding.XR650 bar none,thats the machine to have

Ya im not allowed to run the machines yet cause im so young but I do all the grinding, cutting, deburing, and packaging of all the parts. I cant wait to get this bike

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.