Stripped Oil Filter Bolts

11 replies to this topic
  • RocaFellaRanger

Posted May 15, 2006 - 05:30 PM

2 of the oil filter cover hex bolts (edit: screws) on my 600 are stripped out and I can't remove the oil filter cover to change the filter. Any ideas on how to get them out? I actually have the right case cover off because I'm changing the kick starter return spring so I can take it to a machine shop if I have to, but would perfer not to. :ride:

• GIANTac1

Posted May 15, 2006 - 05:51 PM

Have you tried vice grips? How about a easy out?

• creeky

Posted May 15, 2006 - 05:57 PM

2 of the oil filter cover hex bolts on my 600 are stripped out and I can't remove the cover. Any ideas on how to get them out? I actually have the right case cover off because I'm changing the kick starter return spring so I can take it to a machine shop if I have to, but would perfer not to. :ride:

Are you saying that the bolt heads are rounded off? If so, use a hacksaw blade to saw a slot in the bolt head, then use an impact screwdriver to remove.

• adam574

Posted May 15, 2006 - 06:07 PM

you might want to buy that right side engine half. i don't mean split the cases but there is a third half on the right side you will be able to replace. i don't htink it would be to much trouble just taking of the clutch and simple things like that. you don't want a nasty bolt on such a commonly used one. if it was something that wasn't used much i would say just leave it.

• Blome

Posted May 15, 2006 - 06:09 PM

If so, use a hacksaw blade to saw a slot in the bolt head, then use an impact screwdriver to remove.

If that doesn't work than you could just take a drill with a bit the same size as the bolts (I think it's 6mm) and drill the heads off. Once the heads are off the cover should pop off and they'll be no tension on the shafts of the bolts. They should unsrew easily.

• desmo900

Posted May 15, 2006 - 06:19 PM

If you mean that the bold head is rounded off, Go to Sears. They have a low priced set of external eze-outs. Just place it over the head of the bolt and use a ratchet on the eze-out. The bolt will come right out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adam574

Posted May 15, 2006 - 08:27 PM

ignore my post i thought you were talking about the threads being stripped. one the other two guys said would do the trick

• RocaFellaRanger

Posted May 15, 2006 - 10:21 PM

Are you saying that the bolt heads are rounded off? If so, use a hacksaw blade to saw a slot in the bolt head, then use an impact screwdriver to remove.

I haven't ridden or worked on the bike for a year. Anyway, they are actually hex screws and the hex part is stripped so I can't get them off. I have new screws, I just need to get the old ones out. I'll try the hacksaw but I'm not sure if there is enough room. :banana: The hex size is 5mm, I suppose I could "force" the 6mm in there and unscrew them that way. There has to be an easier way :ride:

• cleonard

Posted May 15, 2006 - 10:41 PM

First give vice-grips a try. If you can get a good bite, you they will come off. The second method is the cut a slot and use a flat blade screwdriver. I like to use a dremel tool for this task.

• creeky

Posted May 16, 2006 - 03:15 AM

Since the bolts are obviously pretty tight, tap on the heads with a hammer before attempting to loosen them, this will sometimes jar the threads loose. Using an impact screwdriver will produce better results as it will jar the threads at the same time as you are attempting to loosen the bolts.

• Blome

Posted May 16, 2006 - 07:00 AM

The hex size is 5mm, I suppose I could "force" the 6mm in there and unscrew them that way. There has to be an easier way :ride:

Forcing a 6mm allen key in there will not work. I'd say vice grips, if that doesn't work than slot it, and if that doesn't work than just drill the heads off. All of which are very easy to do. The easy outs will work too, but not always and it might prevent you from trying the other alternatives. By the way, when I say drill just the heads off I mean just the heads. Do not go past the cover when drilling.

• BRAN4403

Posted May 16, 2006 - 12:08 PM

I had the same thing happen, use a 1/8 drill bit and a small easy- out. :ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.