clutch happy

2 replies to this topic
  • xrracer36

Posted October 24, 2001 - 03:16 AM

i recently am reading places that i shouldn't be using the clutch in turns...
can someone/anyone please fill me in on the "proper" way in which to ride a dirtbike... i am one of those beginners who pulles the clutch in in about every turn and feathers it back out...and when riding offroad, i pull the clutch in alot...if i am riding the four banger wrong, let me now, and if there is a better and faster way to do it, let me know (or just let me know any of your ridng styles.. i hope to learn something.)

98 wr400f->yzf400
eat, sleep, live, breathe, and love riding.
pin it and grin :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted October 24, 2001 - 04:19 AM

This bike, especially the 98's, has a weak clutch assembly. The clutch has been enlarged on the 2001's (& 2000?) I believe. The 99/2000(?) WAS beefed up with a stronger basket than the 98.

As for clutching through turns in general, this IMHO, IS a fine way of riding. On the larger bore bikes, it enables you of riding into the berm a gear high, and torquing it out with a little clutch work.

On 125's it allows you to keep up the revs, and the bikes speed up, through and exiting the turns.

In the end, it boils down to Different Strokes for Different Folks - whatever works BEST FOR YOU!! Posted Image

'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, Mobil 1 15W-50.

Posted October 24, 2001 - 08:26 AM

Right on Bro....Everybody does it differently. I was brought up in the OLD School when the mentallity was that the only time you use the clutch is for starting and stopping. It is a habit for me which is very hard to break. I have been float shifting my WR for two years now with no difficulty. Shift fork and clutch still in good shape. My buddy on the other hand has left hand muscles like the Michlin Man because of all the clutch work he does on his WR. He has already gone through 2 sets of clutches on his 99 WR (Just Wear) compared to my original. Kevin's right, It seems that every model WR since the 98, has decent clutch plates and a basket. Plus they are really easy to change out when the time comes.

So Roost on dude...You're doin just fine...

Bonzai Posted Image

1999 WR 400F:
Headlight Removed,Odo Removed,Gray Wire - Cut,Throttle Stop - Trimmed,YZ Timing,GYT-R Pro-Bend Hand Guards /Tripple Clamp Mounts,YZ Front/Rear Fender,YZ Number Plate,DEVOL Radiator Guards,Race Tech Suspension(by MXTuner),Dunlop 756 Front and Rear,Renthal Fat Bars W/GYT-R Pad,Renthal 14/53 Gearing,DID Race Chain,Custom Grips,Graphics by CEET,White Brothers E-Series Exhaust,Modified Compression Release,Acerbis Frame Guards,12 oz Flywheel Weight;Polaris 400 Sport,Polaris 250 Trailblazer

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.