450-complete uncork for break in? or just throttle stop first 20 miles of mototune

11 replies to this topic
  • ADVnaut

Posted May 15, 2006 - 10:27 AM

I have all my my junk to uncork the 450, just looking for opinions on doing just the throttle stop mod for the initial break in, I just don't want the jetting to be funky while I beat on it to seat the rings. Thanks folks.

Scott

• joshbeene

Posted May 15, 2006 - 10:48 AM

As long as you have the self controll not to ride the bike real hard, I would uncork it first. Uncorking it will help it breath and it will be better jetted. Use the Yamaha GYTR kit it made my bike run great.

• odonnks

Posted May 15, 2006 - 02:57 PM

I did all mods when new and then broke it in.
You should run it hard for break-iin per the mototune info

• spick

Posted May 15, 2006 - 03:18 PM

I didn't uncork mine for the breakin but I live in a really hilly area so I just hit one of the coastal rodes and loaded/unloaded the rings in the hills. It was just over 20 miles round trip, perfect mileage for that first oil change!

• Numskull

Posted May 15, 2006 - 05:19 PM

If its running good now, goahead and break her in. It really shouldnt matter, but if its running good now you can get the break in out of the way before getting all complicated with the mods :banana: just do it in small sessions as not to create a glaze :ride: Oh ya dont forget to rip her up

• MountainMax

Posted May 15, 2006 - 05:36 PM

I waited untill mine broke in before doing the mods, just to be safe, and i broke it hard, well as hard as you can at 1/2 throttle..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ADVnaut

Posted May 15, 2006 - 07:06 PM

My FAST:devil: is sitting on my shoulder telling me to mod it and rod it. It may be the LONESTAR :ride: talking, but I am going to uncork it and rip it in increments while letting it cool between short sessions. Thanks for the input. I am starting the mods tonight and will hopefully be able to get some tomorrow. I am out of beer so that is a good thing.

Later,
Scott

• TWILES

Posted May 16, 2006 - 10:29 AM

They cut the grey wire and changed the throttle stop when I bought mine. I didn't finish it for a few months.

• MountainMax

Posted May 16, 2006 - 04:24 PM

I would say that is probabaly the biggest part of the mods, that extra throttle realy makes a difference.....

• ADVnaut

Posted May 16, 2006 - 08:14 PM

Well I did all the usual mods last night. I didn't get a chance to go ride and break it in, but I did get to blow it out for a couple minutes after letting it warm up, crazy difference. I hope my jetting is up to snuff for a break in. I went 168 mj, 48 pilot and red #4, fuel screw at 2 turns, It was cool this morning so I waited until it warmed up outside to ride for a minute, being I have the red needle in. Can't wait to go see what it really has. Thanks for the replies.

Scott

• OneToGo

Posted May 17, 2006 - 02:06 AM

My FAST:devil: is sitting on my shoulder telling me to mod it and rod it. It may be the LONESTAR :ride: talking, but I am going to uncork it and rip it in increments while letting it cool between short sessions. Thanks for the input. I am starting the mods tonight and will hopefully be able to get some tomorrow. I am out of beer so that is a good thing.

Later,
Scott

I would advise doing all the mods - the motor will thank you for it and rev a lot easier...
This is the key (BOLD above). I modded mine and then did "mototune" method in short bursts, starting with around 2/3 throttle. Up and down through the gears, loading and unloading the rings on decels as well. Do for around 10-15mins, let cool, change oil, repeat etc. Working up to Full but not heavily loaded RPM - NOT on the RPM limiter! Keep oil fresh and just dont LUG it. :banana:

• Moto5

Posted May 17, 2006 - 05:14 AM

In stock form the WR is a little lean so I went ahead and did the mods before break in. The less heat during break in the better off you will be in the long run.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.