What is required to legally off-road in Nevada?

15 replies to this topic
  • atropine

Posted May 15, 2006 - 09:35 AM

Hi Guys-
I'm moving to Nevada in July and want to know what it will take to legally ride off-road there. We are moving to Logandale and plan to ride the trails there. I don't have a bike yet--I am looking now. I have no plans to ever ride it on the road, and I don't want to make it street-legal. I understand that I won't have to register an off-road only bike there. Do I still have to buy some sort off OHV sticker yearly? Do I have to meet certain noise/spark arrestor requirements? I am looking at a 2000 YZF 426, would it need to be modified to become OHV legal in Nevada?

• velosapiens

Posted May 15, 2006 - 10:15 AM

as 10 people and you'll get 10 answers. here's mine:

spark arrestors are being enforced by the vegas district, and the mran racing organization, but afaik, no other blm district is requiring them. i think logandale is in the vegas district.

there are currently no noise limits, but i'll call you a jerk if you ride a loud bike (louder than a stock mx model).

historically, there has been no ohv registration of any kind here. as of jan 1st 2006, you are supposed to need a sticker in order to cross paved roads, use dirt county roads, etc... However, these stickers do not yet exist, and no one really knows what the story is, or when they will exist. they are supposed to be free and easy for older bikes. if you buy a new one, you need to be able to show that you paid sales tax on it.

are you confused yet?

currently, most of nevada is 'open', meaning you can ride wherever you want. you should stay on existing trails however, and you should be prepared that within a few years, it will only be legal to ride on designated (or possibly existing, depending on the area) trails. cross-country travel will not be allowed. you shouldn't ride off-trail anyway tho, if you want my opinion.

so basically, buy the bike you want, ride it on all the trails, have fun, and please be courteous to other folks you see.

• atropine

Posted May 15, 2006 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the info. We are looking forward to the move. Sounds like I don't have much to worry about. I want to get some 4-wheelers for my daughters and introduce them to life outside of the city.

• velosapiens

Posted May 15, 2006 - 01:27 PM

I want to get some 4-wheelers for my daughters and introduce them to life outside of the city.

don't be a lamer. get them bikes. 4-wheelers are the scourge of the earth.

• RhedF350

Posted May 15, 2006 - 01:28 PM

Most of the riding you'll find is on public lands. If you ride near the border of Ca, get an over the counter sticker at a bike shop. The Northern Nv BLM rangers don't worry about much, and just assume you're using a spark arrestor. You usually only see them at the places that lots of OHV's frequent. The noise thing is important like Velo said, but nobody notices unless you cross paths with non-riders.

• Crstof250

Posted May 15, 2006 - 03:54 PM

You will love the Logandale Trails.... Lately my friends and I have been riding there pretty frequently. There is a good mix of terrain there. Sand and hard trail, hills, rock climbing. One trial through the sand and over some rocks will get you to some Petroglyphs.... There are hundreds of trails there! I don't think I will ever get tired of riding there. Even though I have to drive an hour from town to get there, it's well worth it !

As far as rules and regs, That I'm not familiar with. I know I should be, but I haven't ridden since the late 80's and back then, me and my friends would ride straight out into the desert from their front yard...... I just got back into riding this year, It's time I checked into the regs myself....

• NorCal620

Posted May 18, 2006 - 09:58 PM

I agree please start your girls on bikes, they teach so much more self dicipline than pushing with your thumb to go. Please keep some singletrack for us 2 wheelers!

• Velocibiker

Posted May 24, 2006 - 06:11 PM

so basically, buy the bike you want, ride it on all the trails, have fun, and please be courteous to other folks you see.

Yup. That's about all there is to know. Watch for and obey the trail markers. The less we abuse the areas we ride in, the longer the great fist of regulation will stay out of our hair.

Quads can be fun, but they come with a bad rep. If you get some, teach your girls right and change some of the preconceptions most people have about them (the quads - not your girls :ride: )

• tahoeacr

Posted June 09, 2006 - 10:45 AM

A little update on the Nevada registration thing. I wanted it so when I cross into Ca. they don't give me a ticket. Ca. requires a green/red sticker or out of state reg($20.). Nevadas is free and available now if you talk to someone who trully knows. I got two yesterday. After talking with the taxation board last week on Monday, I was told they just went out in the mail to Michaels in Carson. Yesterday I called Michaels in Carson and they told me no such thing and they where out of Ca. out-of-state ones. I called Michaels in Reno. Same bull. Guy there told me the law wasn't passed and the BLM told them it would be another 10-12 years. This was all two weeks after I had confirmed they existed with the Taxation board. Then I drive my butt over to the taxation board in Carson. Speak to the right person. She laughs at my story and said she talked with Michaels in Carson at least three times that week. She then says she'll get me two of them and my 03 crf-230 was not required to have one. I wanted it anyways to avoid the ticket in Ca. After talking with her supervisor, she wasn't allowed to give them to me(something to due with the way the law was written, must go thru a dealer). She calls Michaels and then sends me over there to talk to there Finance manager. He's the one with the stickers. Damn long story & hassle just to get a sticker. The reason for all this is I ride at a place that is 20 min. from my house in Ca. The rangers hit it everyday on their local rounds. Garaunteed ticket without a sparky and sticker.

• atropine

Posted June 09, 2006 - 01:06 PM

I saw something about these new stickers in another post. I am moving to Logandale, NV next month and I will be bringing my 2002 YZF 426 and my 3 quads for the wife/girls. These were all purchased in Texas within the past few weeks and I have the original Texas titles for all 4 vehicles from the original owners. I don't ever plan to ride in CA, but I may ride in Utah or Idaho at some point. If I get these Nevada stickers, do I need to get the bike/quad titled in Nevada, or do I just hold on to the original titles and keep them in my filing cabinet? As I understand it, these new NV stickers are free, correct? And they allow me to legally ride my non-street-legal bike/quads on public, non-paved roads, correct? Who exactly should I talk to about getting these stickers?

On another note, my YZF has all the stuff to make it street legal in TX, which includes horn/headlight/left hand mirror/brakelight/taillight/license plate bracket. No turn signals, and the tires appear to be quite knobby, but I guess this is OK in TX. I would like to be able to legally ride the few miles on a paved road from my house in Logandale to the store without fear of getting a ticket. Are turn signals and less-knobby tires required for a license plate in NV? Anything else I would need to do?

• Velocibiker

Posted June 09, 2006 - 05:12 PM

Hmm. Are you talking about non-street legal machines? I was told that if you have a plated bike, no sticker is required.

• atropine

Posted June 10, 2006 - 05:36 AM

Sorry, my post wasn't very clear. My quads are all obviously not street legal and will never be plated. I would like to know more about getting the OHV stickers for them. My YZF is currently plated in Texas, but I could go either way with it in NV (either get the OHV stickers, or get it plated). I would like to know what is required for getting it plated in NV.

• anestech

Posted June 14, 2006 - 10:36 PM

Sorry, my post wasn't very clear. My quads are all obviously not street legal and will never be plated. I would like to know more about getting the OHV stickers for them. My YZF is currently plated in Texas, but I could go either way with it in NV (either get the OHV stickers, or get it plated). I would like to know what is required for getting it plated in NV.

I don't know about getting plated, but from what I understand (I just moved here myself), Nevada does not title OHVs. Keep your TX title for it, in case it gets stolen, you at least have proof of ownership. I plan on keeping my CA title for my bike. There is this sticker that just came into effect in January, but seems to be difficult to track down as other people have mentioned. I've got a CA red sticker that is good till next July, so I'll worry about the NV sticker then.

• Velocibiker

Posted June 17, 2006 - 06:00 AM

I would like to know what is required for getting it plated in NV.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.leg.state...ml#NRS486Sec251

• jwidd

Posted June 25, 2006 - 01:22 PM

Atropine, Just saw your post, you will love Logandale. Been here for almost eight years and we love it. Ride right out of my garage. There is a group of us who ride YZ 450's out here and you will have to look us up when you get out here.

• atropine

Posted June 25, 2006 - 04:08 PM

Atropine, Just saw your post, you will love Logandale. Been here for almost eight years and we love it. Ride right out of my garage. There is a group of us who ride YZ 450's out here and you will have to look us up when you get out here.

We'll be there on July 11th or 12th. I am so excited. Finally I will get to enjoy the outdoors again. I'm hoping to hook up with some of you guys when I get there. I'll be getting all new phone #'s, but I'll still have this same email address:

saikele@gmail.com

Thanks-
Sam

Related Content

Forums
Photo
California-Southern

DS Riders Near Beaumont/Cherry Valley by jalopyguy

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
California-Southern

Cal city to Primm Nevada by Desert450

• 2 replies
Where 2 Ride

Boca Reservoir

Boca Dam Reservoir Road, Tahoe National Forest, Truckee, CA 96161, USA

Forums
Photo
California-Southern

6am to 8am by Lightninquick

• 13 replies
Where 2 Ride

Condon Peak

25000-25098 Coalinga Road, Coalinga, CA 93210, USA

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.