Removing bearing seals

3 replies to this topic
  • feti

Posted May 15, 2006 - 06:54 AM

Edit: This is an '06 YZ450F

I took off my rear wheel the other night to check the amount of grease in the bearings, in order to regrease properly if needed, and I couldn't get the seals off without what would have been bending and tearing.

Do I need a special tool to remove the seal or is a flathead screwdriver ok to use?

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2006 - 07:52 AM

Anything that contacts and applies pressure to the lip of the seal has to be avoided unless it requires very little effort to remove them. If you want to reuse them, a flat bladed tool bent at a right angle that can reach under the seal lip and pry against another part of the seal will work. You can also sometimes work the seal out by using a small screwdriver and prying around the outside of the seal pocket. Otherwise, plan to replace them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • feti

Posted May 15, 2006 - 07:58 AM

Thanks for the response. Since it obviously doesn't make sense to want to replace the seals very often, how often should I check front and rear axels for wear/grease levels?

• Chas_M

Posted May 15, 2006 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the response. Since it obviously doesn't make sense to want to replace the seals very often, how often should I check front and rear axels for wear/grease levels?

I recommend doing this just one time, to ensure that there is an adequate amount of grease in the bearings. :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.