hot hot hot

3 replies to this topic
  • gem

Posted May 14, 2006 - 07:28 PM

Hello men, This bike is newto me and I am wondering what you have done to deal with the 426 hot header problem. After riding the other day as I put the bike away I noticed this black melted plastic smear on the header. I didn't know what it was until I got dressed to ride today and saw that my knee pad melted when I bumped up against the bike after the last ride. I know from this forum that they do run hot but I am wondering if engine ice helps or a better water impeller or maybe you just put the header protector on and deal with it. I can't imagine the damage done if I lay this thing down on my leg or some other mishap leads to a brutally painful branding. Any suggestions or stories of third degree burns.

• fast426

Posted May 14, 2006 - 09:01 PM

Hello men, This bike is newto me and I am wondering what you have done to deal with the 426 hot header problem. After riding the other day as I put the bike away I noticed this black melted plastic smear on the header. I didn't know what it was until I got dressed to ride today and saw that my knee pad melted when I bumped up against the bike after the last ride. I know from this forum that they do run hot but I am wondering if engine ice helps or a better water impeller or maybe you just put the header protector on and deal with it. I can't imagine the damage done if I lay this thing down on my leg or some other mishap leads to a brutally painful branding. Any suggestions or stories of third degree burns.

No way around the glowing header unfortunatley. No cooling mod will help on the exhaust end of things.

My header story is my girlfriend got stuck on her bike so she was holding mine while I was knee deep in mud. Wellllll, my exhaust shield had fallen of and she melted her new free ride pants on the header. Can we say MMAAAAADDDD!!!! :banana: Then I had to remind her that her stuck was the reason it happened and that the pants did there job and it could have been her leg melted to the header....

It didn't really help the matter at all :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamahaThumper

Posted May 14, 2006 - 09:06 PM

My freind recently burnt his leg on on my header....skin just lsid off his leg, dumbass that he is, wont go to the docter and its infected now and its been 3 weeks

• 642MX

Posted May 15, 2006 - 08:14 AM

Welcome to the world of performance 4 strokes. Engine ice will help the coolant temp, but will do little or nothing for the exhaust temp. Some people use a header wrap, like the kind used in automotive applications, but I don't see how it would last very long off-road. Using the stock header guard is your best bet. :ride:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.