XR70 oil change

17 replies to this topic
  • ajd187

Posted May 14, 2006 - 05:24 PM

I just took a quick look at the oil in our XR70 and it is due for a change.

Will using the 10W-30 I have sitting in the garage hurt anything or should I be using motorcycle oil? I use automotive oil in my quad because it has a CVT trans which doesn't need oil (belt drive). However I'm unsure about the bike since it's an auto clutch.

I searched on this topic but couldn't find it. I don't need a debate; a simple yes or no will work. :ride:

• qwoke-q

Posted May 15, 2006 - 04:23 AM

The automotive oil should be fine. Although I would use 10W-40. That's what the manual says to use.

• RedRockRider

Posted May 15, 2006 - 04:49 AM

I may be wrong but, The automotive oils have additional lubricants in them that may saturate your auto clutch, and inhibit the performance of the clutch. I would use the Honda GN410-40 oil to be safe. It is cheap, and is what is recommended.

TJ

• jvxrz

Posted May 15, 2006 - 05:36 AM

I just took a quick look at the oil in our XR70 and it is due for a change.

Will using the 10W-30 I have sitting in the garage hurt anything or should I be using motorcycle oil? I use automotive oil in my quad because it has a CVT trans which doesn't need oil (belt drive). However I'm unsure about the bike since it's an auto clutch.

I searched on this topic but couldn't find it. I don't need a debate; a simple yes or no will work. :ride:

Not long ago you could use auto oil without a problem, but with the addition of "friction modifiers" that is no long true.

The way to tell if an oil has them is to look at the SAE donut. If it has modifiers it will have "Energy Conserving" on the bottom outer half.

One inexpensive and easy to find oil that does not have them is Shell Rotella. It's formulated for diesel engines, and for some reason doesn't have the additives. Guys on the SVrider forum (SV650 Suzuki) swear buy it.

Personally, I run a synthetic cycle oil. It does cost significantly more, but for the amount a 50 or 70 uses it's next to nothing.

• CRF100biker

Posted May 15, 2006 - 01:58 PM

I've been using it and noting's been going wrong with it. I say use it!

• Racer

Posted May 15, 2006 - 04:28 PM

Check the API classification. If it says SF or SG you'll be OK to use it, but as qwoke said, 10W-40 is recommended for warmer temperatures.

• five0addict

Posted May 15, 2006 - 05:21 PM

for the price of a quart, put the good stuff in. look for "use for wet clutches" or something similar

• ajd187

Posted May 15, 2006 - 07:05 PM

I was just thinking that I would use what I had laying around. But I went and got the good stuff. Just changed it tonight.

• jvxrz

Posted May 16, 2006 - 05:38 AM

I've been using it and noting's been going wrong with it. I say use it!

Current auto oils lubricate engine parts just fine, but eventually the "friction modifiers" will build-up on clutch plates. Older auto oil was fine, I used it for years, but things have changed.

But for the amount we use (next to nothing), and what we spend on our bikes, why not use the correct/best oil available?

• CRF100biker

Posted May 16, 2006 - 12:04 PM

I don't spend crap on my 70 or on my 100. Once I get a KX 100 I'll be using the good stuff. Personally I think all the crap that the manufacturers say you have to use is a load of bull. If it works just as good and costs less then why not? Maybe the reason my bike's clutch didn't take a shit is cuz I've barely ridden my 70.

• jvxrz

Posted May 17, 2006 - 06:38 AM

I don't spend crap on my 70 or on my 100. Once I get a KX 100 I'll be using the good stuff. Personally I think all the crap that the manufacturers say you have to use is a load of bull. If it works just as good and costs less then why not? Maybe the reason my bike's clutch didn't take a shit is cuz I've barely ridden my 70.

OK, but which is it?

You will give your KX the "good stuff" but you said you don't think there is a difference. If it "...works just as good and costs less..." why bother using anything different in the new bike?

There is a difference, you just can't SEE it.

Personally, it obviously doesn't matter to me which oil you use, I'm just tossing out the fact that there is a difference between auto and cycle oils.

• CRF100biker

Posted May 17, 2006 - 02:20 PM

Ah you got me there.

• dirtbkr188

Posted May 17, 2006 - 02:35 PM

Cheap insurance for a long lasting motorcycle engine: Use Bel-Ray EXL 10W-40 motorcycle oil, petroleum-based. It is around $20.00 for a 4 Liter jug. The XR70 takes 600ml (or cc) after an oil change. That's 6 oil changes for 20 bucks, using an oil made specifically for motorcycles.

• mx2007

Posted December 10, 2009 - 06:23 PM

hey when i change my oil in my 99 xr70 i noticed 2 drain bolts? what is the second one for? and the engine oil goes to the trans also? cus mine is sticking really bad and was gonna put some lucas trans fix in....but if theres no seperate fill for the trans what do i do?

• Towlieee

Posted December 11, 2009 - 01:30 PM

I run automotive oil in all my bikes, even my sport bike with 36k miles and the stock clutch

Just don't run fully synthetic energy conserving and you shouldn't have any issues

• Towlieee

Posted December 11, 2009 - 01:31 PM

hey when i change my oil in my 99 xr70 i noticed 2 drain bolts? what is the second one for? and the engine oil goes to the trans also? cus mine is sticking really bad and was gonna put some lucas trans fix in....but if theres no seperate fill for the trans what do i do?

It's sticking? Try adjusting the clutch before putting addatives in..

The other bolt that sticks out at an angle is the cam chain tensioner, don't remove that bolt

• mx2007

Posted December 12, 2009 - 03:19 AM

really? it looks like a drain bolt lol, but yeah as far as the clutch i adjusted it just didnt ride it yet been raining here, and also before i adjusted it the lock nut was loose lol. also is any one running the maxima hi performance oil in theirs? thats what i use to put in my 05 crf250.

• todthebod

Posted December 29, 2009 - 07:43 PM

I've been using regular wal-mart supertech 10w-40. Use in in my cr250 clutch going on for about 3 years with no problems.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Pit bike in the making... by the-new-kid

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pit Bikes
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF50F 2007 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF50F 2007
  • 4 reviews
  • Last review by Alabama
  • On June 29, 2014
Reviews

Honda CRF50F 2005 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF50F 2005
  • 1 review
  • Last review by DANO
  • On April 21, 2013
Reviews

Honda CRF50F 2008 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF50F 2008
  • 1 review
  • Last review by bronc3
  • On January 29, 2014
Reviews

Honda CRF70F 2006 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF70F 2006
  • 1 review
  • Last review by OES03
  • On April 09, 2014

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.