How To Make A 426 Corner Better?

20 replies to this topic
  • 02YZ426

Posted May 14, 2006 - 04:49 PM

I've been having trouble lately getting my 426 to track through the berms, flat corners and off camber corners. It seems as though the front end of the bike always want to climb high in the corner, jump berms and cause me to dump the bike more than I would like to. I never used to have this problem so I'm almost positive something is not working right. I have a D756 front and a D752 rear tire and stock suspension settings. It could even be something I'm doing wrong but I've never had any trouble exploding through a berm in a controlled fashion. I am also a fairly agressive rider, so maybe I need a re-valve? Any ideas on what will help? I know an 06 YZ450 would do it, but thats not in the budget until earliest this fall. I was thinking maybe better tires, possible lowering the forks in the clamps, maybe playing around with the suspension settings. But really I'm not sure were to start. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :ride:

• XriderR00

Posted May 14, 2006 - 06:08 PM

Do the 450 conversion if you really really want cornering to improve.

my front tire used to wash out on my 400f all the time. i have yet to have that happen since I did the conversion and it overall feels a lot more comfortable leaning over.. the bike doesn't just want to keep going straight anymore

• ldan

Posted May 14, 2006 - 07:32 PM

What 450 conversion are you talking about?

• Raven1911

Posted May 14, 2006 - 08:09 PM

Gotta be the suspension! Get it checked! :ride: :banana:

• FZ1426

Posted May 15, 2006 - 09:24 AM

Raise the fork tubes up to the line on the tube (about 10mm from the top). Have you bled the air out of the forks lately?

Posted May 15, 2006 - 02:21 PM

my front tire used to wash out on my 400f all the time. i have yet to have that happen since I did the conversion and it overall feels a lot more comfortable leaning over.. the bike doesn't just want to keep going straight anymore

does that involve a salesperson converting your used bike for a spankin' new 2006 yz450f? recently, i did the 03 crf450 to yz450f conversion. that actually improved my crappy cornering.

• 02YZ426

Posted May 15, 2006 - 03:24 PM

Sounds like a good idea but since I will likley be selling this bike for a new 450 in the fall, it wouldn't make sence to dump that kind of money into it.

Gotta be the suspension! Get it checked!

This is kinda what I was thinking too, but I wonder if it needs to be re-valved because I already changed the fork oil and that didn't help a bit.

Raise the fork tubes up to the line on the tube (about 10mm from the top). Have you bled the air out of the forks lately?

Will raising the fork tubes up improve handling? and yes, I do bleed the air out frequently.

• RideRaceLive123

Posted May 15, 2006 - 04:56 PM

I put .41 and 4.4 springs in, forks 8 mm up in the triple clamps, 94mm sag, took 2 .27's out of the basevalve, used Mobil 1 ATF at 90mm, and subtanks. And my bike turns ssssoooo awesome now. It lays over soo much easier. And stays in its line alot easier too. I love my bike now.

• kevin204

Posted May 15, 2006 - 05:13 PM

Sounds like a good idea but since I will likley be selling this bike for a new 450 in the fall, it wouldn't make sence to dump that kind of money into it.

This is kinda what I was thinking too, but I wonder if it needs to be re-valved because I already changed the fork oil and that didn't help a bit.

Will raising the fork tubes up improve handling? and yes, I do bleed the air out frequently.

I could be wrong....but I think he means trade the bike in on a 450..... :ride:

• 02YZ426

Posted May 15, 2006 - 05:16 PM

I put .41 and 4.4 springs in, forks 8 mm up in the triple clamps, 94mm sag, took 2 .27's out of the basevalve, used Mobil 1 ATF at 90mm, and subtanks. And my bike turns ssssoooo awesome now. It lays over soo much easier. And stays in its line alot easier too. I love my bike now.

Are these setting on a 426? and what weight is that setup for? What are your clickers set at? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RideRaceLive123

Posted May 15, 2006 - 06:17 PM

Are these setting on a 426? and what weight is that setup for? What are your clickers set at? Thanks

No, 250f. I am 140lbs. My clickers are set at 8 reb. and 14 com. for the fork. But I posted my settings because just to show that properly setup suspension will make your bike corner perfect. Because I used to hate my bike, I thought of getting a 2006 YZ250F a couple times.(which I don't have money for because I am only 14yr.)

But if I were you I would get proper springs for your bike, go to the suspension forum and tell them your weight, height, riding level, problems with your suspension. And revalve like they say. Then to finish it off use Mobil 1 ATF at 90mm. Then PM me for directions to make subtanks.

BTW, I took out 2 27's because I had alittle to much low speed compression. But if you have too much high speed compression take out smaller shims.

Edit: oh yeah, MS3's at 11 PSI.

• ldan

Posted May 15, 2006 - 06:27 PM

I bought my 01 YZ426F new and have always had to fight front end push. Here is what I found works best.

1. Run the front compression as soft as you can without bottoming too much.
2. Set oil level at 90 MM.
3. Try increasing your sag to 105 MM.
4. Make sure the rebound settings are correct, not too fast or too slow.
5. Run a Dunlop 756 at 14 psi.
6. Try to run less than half a tank of fuel, this will take about 8 lbs. off the top of the bike.

I also keep my fingers on the front brake in tight turns and tap LIGHTLY if the front end starts to walk up the rut or burm. I've been told by the local suspension guy that the rake is the problem on these bikes and you would have to replace the triple tree to correct. That would cost alot of money if you're not planning on keeping the bike. I'll be CONVERTING to a 07 next year, but the 01 has been an awesome bullet proof machine and will be hard to part with! :ride:

• GONE1445

Posted May 15, 2006 - 08:27 PM

I have the same problem my front tire climbs out of the berm in sand mainly

• Matt96xr6

Posted May 15, 2006 - 11:25 PM

First off, what year 426 do you have? If you have the 00-01, you can get a zipty rear link that will help the bike out a lot!

second get the suspension revalved. set the sag and play with the fork height in the clamps. If you want more, then get offset clamps.

• XriderR00

Posted May 16, 2006 - 11:00 AM

you'll only spend a hundred or two hundred dollars by the time you sell all your old stuff. I think I spent a little under a 100 after all my stuff was sold, and I have yet to sell the subframe, airbox, or rear master cylinder (but I had an extra set of graphics)

• 02YZ426

Posted May 16, 2006 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the great info guys, So I'm going to try setting the fork oil to 90mm and lower the forks down in the clamp a bit. I will go out and count where my clickers are set at and let you guys know. Just a thought, do you think shaving down the seat foam would help with cornering? I was just thinking it would give a lower center of gravity and I'm only 5'8 so the bike is a little on the tall side.

• XriderR00

Posted May 16, 2006 - 03:59 PM

the seat being flatter would definitely help, but shaving isn't going to accomplish that. In comparison to my the stock 400f ergos, the 450 conversion makes you sit a lot more forward and the seat is much flatter. The stock seat makes you feel like you're sitting in a hole

• 02YZ426

Posted May 16, 2006 - 06:39 PM

I just lowered the forks to the first line, It was almost up the cap. I also set the sag to 90mm to lower the bike a bit. The rebound was 10 clicks out, and the compression was 6 clicks out. The rear shock was 10. What settings would you recommend for the clickers? Thanks

• WFOracer

Posted May 16, 2006 - 07:12 PM

does that involve a salesperson converting your used bike for a spankin' new 2006 yz450f? recently, i did the 03 crf450 to yz450f conversion. that actually improved my crappy cornering.

LOL. I am about to do an '02 yz250f to an 06 yz450f conversion! :ride:

• RideRaceLive123

Posted May 16, 2006 - 07:13 PM

I wouldn't shave your seat. Because it will majorly affect your cornering. BTW I'm 5'10 and I got a SDG tall seat, just so I can sit up on the tank easier.

I would just put your clickers at like 12. Then see what you don't like what the bike is doing. And adjust accordingly.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.