Maybe I shouldn't...

12 replies to this topic
  • Zique

Posted May 13, 2006 - 08:40 PM

So I have been considering the 450 cam swap for my 426 very heavily. I've read a lot about it and can't seem to find any reason not to do it...until today...

I have a buddy that has never ridden a motorcycle before come over while I was just finishing up replacing the air-filter. He decided that it wouldn't be hard to teach himself to ride and he jumped on my bike and said he was going to take it for a spin :busted: :smirk: :lol:

I was horrified! I had agreed that I would help him learn to ride, but I told him that my 426 was not a good idea for his first lessons (if you knew my friend, you would definitely understand). I had a little chinese bike for a few months to scoot around campus and told him that if he was serious about getting into this, that may be a good opportunity for a first bike for him. ANYWAY, back to my original thought...

In my state of shock I quickly came up w/ a claus for him. Since I wouldn't be riding the bike for the rest of the night I wasn't too concerned about it being flooded (and I figured I could drain the gas later), plus the fact that the gas was not even on and my friend didn't realize that...This being said, I told him that if he could start it, I would let him take it for a spin around the block. I gave him only one hint, don't give it any throttle.

Anyway, he doesn't understand what the decomp lever even is and he only gave it three tries before he realized that it wasn't going to kick over and that maybe he didn't know that much about motorcycles. So maybe I shouldn't do the 450 cam swap...(hey, it offers me a little theft AND friend protection)

I feel kind of rude for doing it that way really, but he has been doing similar things to try and force me into letting him take my bike for over two months now. Every time, I try to explain that he needs to get on something smaller to start with (like I said before, if you knew my friend, you would definitely know that this is not the right bike for him right now). My other riding buddies have been telling him the same thing. We talk to him about 'how you ride a motorcycle' properly (as best we can anyway w/o letting him trash one of our bikes). :banana:

Any suggestions as to how to get him to really realize that he needs to learn to ride before he gets on something so big? :ride: Biggest problem is, he feels like if he could get on one he could be pulling wheelies and such, but he can't even wheelie his mountain bike w/o going over?!?!?!

• Zique

Posted May 13, 2006 - 08:46 PM

Now that I just got that typed up, I really feel like a jerk that I did that...was that really wrong of me?

• Markopolo400

Posted May 13, 2006 - 09:05 PM

Now that I just got that typed up, I really feel like a jerk that I did that...was that really wrong of me?

No, it's for his own good.

Chances are that if he rides your 426, he'll get hurt.

• uncle tail

Posted May 14, 2006 - 09:02 AM

i am with you, the thing with a new rider is they don't get that the bike makes more power than most people will ever wring out, and you just respect that. new rider won't respect that, twist the throttle, over jump the little dirt pile, and bang into a tree (or something). could be really bad. you are just keeping it real. good work.

• grayracer513

Posted May 14, 2006 - 09:22 AM

That's one of the lamest excuses for not doing the cam swap I've heard yet. Your bud should be intimidated enough by you to know better than hop on your bike, and jerk or not (in his opinion), you should just say "no" when that's what you think.

Nice try, though. Very cute.

• Junior426

Posted May 14, 2006 - 12:00 PM

Personally I dont think the cam mod is even remotely needed, I havent had a single problem starting it. Dont feel bad about doing that to your friend, because if he doesnt even have a clue how to start a bike, how is he going to be able to ride one. I would leave the bike as-is and try to convince your friend to learn on a smaller bike. Some people just cant handle themselves and need to learn on smaller bikes. I'm fortunate enough to be smart enough to learn on such a big bike without getting hurt or damaging the bike (yet). Good luck and I hope your happy with whatever descision you make.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2wheels-drz

Posted May 14, 2006 - 02:10 PM

Any suggestions as to how to get him to really realize that he needs to learn to ride before he gets on something so big? :ride: Biggest problem is, he feels like if he could get on one he could be pulling wheelies and such, but he can't even wheelie his mountain bike w/o going over?!?!?!

take him to local race, and force him watch the 85 class!! he will get his eyes open! had the same problem with a friend of mine, he was always saying that "u don't let me ride ur bikes so how am i gonna learn, and anyways i no its easy".... hes just bough a drz cough* cough* mine..and can't handle it for shit, and is almost always holding us up when out trail riding, but hey now hes no's it takes skill, skill that hes has to learn!!

• grayracer513

Posted May 14, 2006 - 02:39 PM

Personally I dont think the cam mod is even remotely needed, I havent had a single problem starting it.

This is the response you frequently get, but only from those who have never spent an extended amount of time with an auto decomp bike. As someone who was brought up on big British singles, all of which had and required compression releases, who nearly didn't buy a YZ450 partly because they don't have manual decomp systems, and who shared your exact viewpoint for a long time, let me simply say that you have no idea what you're depriving yourself of by not doing the conversion. There's absolutely no reason to have a manual release, and there are at least 3 things apart from kick starting the AD does better.

• RoughR1der

Posted May 14, 2006 - 03:53 PM

lol, reminds me of my g/f. she was all "riding is easy, it doesnt take much energy" so i bought her a CRF150. 1st time she rode it for 20 min and was dead tired. last time she crashed hard and is afraid of it now.

back to topic, i would never let someone ride my bike that didnt know how. especially if they think they can do stunts 1st time out. You must be a nice guy or something, cuz i would just tell him to f#ck off, go buy your own. :ride:

• XriderR00

Posted May 14, 2006 - 06:12 PM

LOL, that was a great trick dude lmao.

anyway, to get your point across, you just have to stand up tall to him and be slightly mean, but firm in your decision that he cannot ride your bike until you feel comfortable enough with his experience on smaller bike(s)

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2006 - 09:48 AM

LOL, that was a great trick dude lmao.

This just reminded me of something that makes a good analogy here. Everyone who owns a truck knows that all your friends who don't will want to borrow it occasionally. Some of them will actually have enough crust to ask. I once owned a 1952 Ford pickup that had a 4 speed trans that was totally non-synchronized; every shift, up or down, had to be double clutched, and the timing had to be right to avoid grinding gears. So when my erstwhile buddies would ask to use my truck I said. "If you can get to the end of the street and back without grinding any gears, you can use it." No one ever did.

But, that being said, even though I didn't have "a single problem" shifting it, don't you think it really would have been worth it to go full synchro?

• Zique

Posted May 15, 2006 - 07:21 PM

That's one of the lamest excuses for not doing the cam swap I've heard yet.

I know...but it's not really an excuse, I just liked the leverage it gave me.

I made him a deal though that I would help him pick a bike out and that I would take him riding him and teach him how. I like that he finally settled for that.

As soon as I get a little cash, I will probably still do the swap. My bike starts first kick every time, but I would like to be able to bump start after a stall in the corner or what not w/o having to use the decomp. I get kind of scared sometimes that I will end up holding decomp too long and mess up my valves.

• kid on a 426

Posted May 22, 2006 - 07:50 PM

This is like the deal me and my dad made when I asked for a 426. He said I had to be able to start and ride his bike confidently and after about 5 long rides on it he said that I could move up to a 426. I can't really comment much on the cam mod because I still have never started or ridden a bike with it. But I don't have any problems right now with it but I think I do want to eventually do the mod in a year or two.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.