Taller bars, do the cables reach?

10 replies to this topic
  • MindBlower

Posted May 13, 2006 - 08:05 PM

Say a CR high bend? :ride:

• qadsan

Posted May 13, 2006 - 08:43 PM

Yes, all the cables will reach with the CR Highs and a taller tripleclamp, but you may have to route the cables a little differently. Years ago I used to run CR Highs and a BRP triple clamp that raised the bars on my 650R with the stock cables years ago, but I've since gone to a custom set of bars that are even taller and they require the use of longer custom cables.

• MindBlower

Posted May 13, 2006 - 09:03 PM

is the taller triple needed for some reason? or just another way of getting height?
I have Renthals with I "think" the high CR bend on my 350, thinking about taking them since I'm selling it anyway.

• qadsan

Posted May 13, 2006 - 09:35 PM

Not needed. I just did it for extra height and a bit more reach since the clamps I use put the bars a bit higher and farther forward.

• Potts228

Posted May 14, 2006 - 10:21 AM

Say a CR high bend? :ride:

I run the "Windham" Pro Taper bar (about the same height as the CR high but slightly different bend from what I can tell by feel) and the Scotts sub mount upper clamp. I'm 6' and this put the bars in a very comfortable position. I did have to get longer throttle cables and I run the Precision Concepts cable guide for the clutch cable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skyriver

Posted May 14, 2006 - 11:12 AM

I also have the Windham bend (less pull back than CR-HI) Pro Tapers and Pro Tapers riser/adapters. I have the Contour series though, not the EA-70 and the Contours are only 31.50" wide versus 32" of the EA-70. I'm at the outer limits of the cables. Didn't seem to notice an issue with the throttle, but I did set the clutch about 1/4" in farther... It's more comfortable now anyway. You can always cut the bars, but I like all 31.50" since I'm 6'4". Probably depends if you set them at 0 position or crank them forward. That's why I got the Windham bend.... less pull back. You have to get the XR better for standing. It sucks stock form.

• XRsteve

Posted May 14, 2006 - 01:46 PM

Probably the only way to see if the cables are long enough is to try it. If they're too tight, try trimming the end of the bars a little bit. This worked great for me.

• Kenaroo

Posted May 14, 2006 - 02:57 PM

Ok.. If needed... Who sells longer thottle cables. or is there a cross reference to another mc that will work?

• 4Takt

Posted May 14, 2006 - 03:10 PM

I have the CR High bend Pro Tapers with risers/adapters as well. If you leave the bars uncut it will work, but barely. It puts the throttle cables at their limit, clutch is no probem.

Then I got an Edelbrock carb and it came with cables that are slightly longer than stock: perfect fit.

But id did work with stock cables, there just wasn't much slack if any and you have to rotate the throttle body for shortest distance.

• Potts228

Posted May 14, 2006 - 08:11 PM

Ok.. If needed... Who sells longer thottle cables. or is there a cross reference to another mc that will work?

I got my cables from Scotts. Don't remember the price though.

• Desertskyy

Posted May 15, 2006 - 08:54 AM

I am running a BRP triple clamp set up with CR-Hi Pro tapers with no problems with my cables. You just have to be careful with the routing.

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.