Grey wire on 06 WR450 question

6 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted May 13, 2006 - 06:39 PM

Hey guys, i know this topic has been posted but i can't find anyone who done it on an 06 model, the dealer told me the 06 didnt need the cut wire mod. I just looked at the cdi connector and found the grey wire is in the middle of one of the two 6 pin wire connectors, the manual that came with the AIS removal kit said there should be only one 6 pin connector with the pin as number 6, on the end, but mine is in the middle of one of the two 6pin connectors, also which pin do you guys remove, there are two parts of the connector when disconnected??

• OneToGo

Posted May 13, 2006 - 09:19 PM

...the dealer told me the 06 didnt need the cut wire mod. I just looked at the cdi connector and found the grey wire is in the middle of one of the two 6 pin wire connectors, the manual that came with the AIS removal kit said there should be only one 6 pin connector with the pin as number 6, on the end, but mine is in the middle of one of the two 6pin connectors, also which pin do you guys remove, there are two parts of the connector when disconnected??

Hey MountainMax

See pic below:

You are right. The dealer is wrong. The Grey wire is in the middle of the clear connector and should be removed - for reasons see elsewhere!

It is easy to push the PIN from the connector on the CDI side.

First pull the connectors apart, then insert a small flat blade screw driver and push against the terminal from the inside, it should slide out. Otherwise, you can lift the small retaining clip that holds the pin (use a very small srew blade) and pull the wire gently, should pop out easily.
Put a dab of silicone for water proofing; you can see the white blob in the picture, then tape/shrink wrap the wire (mine is shown bare).

Push all connectors back together - reassemble bike.
PRESTO, Grey Wire Mod complete.
P.S. Dont take the CDI OFF, mine was removed because I am trying a Vortex.

WR450F 06 CDI - removed from Bike
http://i81.photobuck...GreyWire001.jpg

PM if any problems.
Enjoy

:ride:

• MountainMax

Posted May 14, 2006 - 06:26 AM

Thanks, just wanted to make sure as the wiring changed from earlier years, and i wondered about sealing up the connector also, will use silicone here also. All other free mods now done, can't wait to change my oil and go for a ride to see the difference....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bcs

Posted May 14, 2006 - 10:02 PM

Take the connectors apart, and pull the pin for grey wire NOT from the CDI side, but from the other side. Then plug the connector with silicone and tuck the pin back in the insulation on the wire harness. Don't worry about taping it or anything because it is a ground circuit.

• yamahaxt

Posted May 15, 2006 - 04:55 AM

I messed up when I tried to pull the grey wire and broke it. So its disconneted but its not pretty. I cut the trottle stop and took the baffle out of the exhaust. Its a totaly different bike. So much more power you won't believe it.

• bcs

Posted May 15, 2006 - 02:10 PM

Take the snorkel out of the airbox (under the seat)?

• MountainMax

Posted May 15, 2006 - 05:45 PM

well guys, i removed the pin from the cdi side connector, and siliconed the hole over, done the ais removal and jetting, man it's a totally different bike..... :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.