AIS removal

20 replies to this topic
  • comrade_yzf

Posted May 13, 2006 - 04:43 PM

Does anyone have pictures of the AIS removal and a short tutorial?

Also, if i get this i wont have to get the yz throttle stop sepratly?

• odonnks

Posted May 13, 2006 - 06:19 PM

I've never seen a pictorial but the removal is very easy.
I would recommend the ais removal kit available from this site. The Yamaha kit is not as high quality and leaves the exhaust ais injection fitting installed and capped where the TT kit removes this fitting and plugs the hole.

• Darth Wader

Posted May 13, 2006 - 06:50 PM

The manual coupled with the directions included in the TT AIS kit will get you through it. It is pretty straight forward once you start, I was hesitant at first too but, as you start turning wrenches you'll see it is very doable. Follow the hoses on the AIS itself and they will lead you right to the three plugs you need to cap (intake, exhaust, & airbox). The airbox one is a bit tight and a second set of hands helps - we used a large socket in the air boot (circling the opening) to provide a backing to push against, that made all the difference on that one. I would recommend you go ahead and drain/remove the right radiator too - that will make things FAR easier.

Take your time and you should be okay. If you get in a jam post on here, everyone is extremely helpful and there is usually someone online. :ride:

• OneToGo

Posted May 13, 2006 - 10:24 PM

..... I would recommend you go ahead and drain/remove the right radiator too - that will make things FAR easier.

Take your time and you should be okay. If you get in a jam post on here, everyone is extremely helpful and there is usually someone online. :ride:

Good advice from Darth:

The kit From TT has just the three plugs, as stated above; two in the head and one plastic blue plug on the airbox, I reckon that one was the most difficult.
The TT instructions are very explicit, AND if you follow them it is a relatively simple procedure. Just take your time. The advice above re. rads is good and as the instructions say, makes installation of the head plug near the exhaust VERY simple, its the removal of parts othar than AIS that takes the time - at least it is a good method to get to know your bike.
Also, it is a good time to install those extra parts like Rad guards and exhaust if you are going that way. The AIS alone would take around 1:30 being careful - provided you have swung a bike wrench before!! :banana:
As for the GYT-R kit, it is superficial and should be simpler than the TT kit but will produce a less clean but reversable job. :busted:

• odonnks

Posted May 14, 2006 - 02:08 AM

Forgot to mention, the TT kit does not come with a T- stop

• minkkinen

Posted May 14, 2006 - 07:44 AM

I have one extra original yz throttle stop, if needed.
Sami

• MojaveThumper

Posted May 14, 2006 - 07:48 PM

The yamaha kit says to loosen the three subframe bolts. Is this step really necessary and if it is, what three bolts are they refering too? Looked all over what I consider the subframe and all I see is 2 bolts. Pics would help, couldn't find any reference to these in the manual.

Guess a maintenance stand is going to be needed as well.

• bcs

Posted May 14, 2006 - 09:58 PM

Get the Yamaha kit, it has directions on the AIS removal and directions for the throttle stop, jetting, airbox mod and exhaust mod.
Plus it includes the throttle stop, needle and one jet.
I can't figure out what all the complaints are about with the Yamaha kit. The cap on the exhaust port installed easily and sealed perfectly.

• CharlesFP

Posted May 14, 2006 - 11:41 PM

The problem with the gytr kit is the vacuum plug on the intake side of the motor. Mine fell off and my engine started sucking air and running very lean. Luckily I caught in time and fabricated my own plug. If anyone gets the GYTR kit, please zipty that plug or wrap wire around it or do anything to get that thing to stay on. Raw, dusty air is not good.
Removing AIS will richen up the fuel mixture, so if one doesn't use the gytr kit, make sure you change the pilot jet and needle clip position. When I installed the GYTR kit, for some reason my bike ran wayyy better (before the plug fell off, of course) and it started without having to twist the throttle.

• joshbeene

Posted May 15, 2006 - 10:44 AM

Get the yamaha Kit. I put a different kit on my bike and it ran pretty good, but would not hold a constant RPM without cutting out a little. I ran like that for a year, and now that I put the Yamaha kit, I wish I would have done it earlier. The Yamaha comes with the jets you need also and it is only $40 with the block off kit and jets!!! I am very happy with the Yamaha kit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted May 15, 2006 - 10:48 AM

The yamaha kit is the better of the two, IMO. However, as mentioned about the back of cylinder plug(AIS intake line) in the Yamaha kit is CRAP! Mine fell off too and the bike ran like crud and hopefully didn't suck any in.

• BajaFool

Posted May 15, 2006 - 11:06 AM

I second bcs and joshbeenes' comments and endorsement of the Yamaha GYT-R kit. The kit is easy to install, includes all the parts and instructions to incorporate all of the "free" mods that are absolutely necessary to realize the full potential of the 05 and 06 model motorcycles, produced by the manufacturer of your motorcycle and is very reasonably priced even at $39.95. Also, discount prices for parts from your dealer are easy to get, I paid considerably less than $39.95 for my kit.

• bcs

Posted May 16, 2006 - 05:26 AM

The problem with the gytr kit is the vacuum plug on the intake side of the motor. ...If anyone gets the GYTR kit, please zipty that plug or wrap wire around it or do anything to get that thing to stay on.

I have the GYT-R kit, and it included a spring-type (not the screw-type) hose clamp to hold the plug on that vacuum port. Did you guys use the clamp?

• TimBrp

Posted May 16, 2006 - 08:26 AM

I have the GYT-R kit, and it included a spring-type (not the screw-type) hose clamp to hold the plug on that vacuum port. Did you guys use the clamp?

Don't know. I had the dealer install mine. Which in turn, if anything negative came of the plug missing(sand sucking in etc.) I'd bring it back to them.

• ADVnaut

Posted May 16, 2006 - 09:04 AM

I have seen both, and the Yamaha kit looks like a hack job to me. The TT kit was easy to install and looks like it belongs there. Put a little high temp RTV under the head face of the plug and tap it in. Done deal. It takes all of 5 min to cut the throttle stop to length and chamfer. 18.5 mm from shoulder to tip or 23.5 mm overall. :ride:

• Russ_M

Posted May 17, 2006 - 04:23 PM

I am getting ready to install the TT kit. I only have one question? Is this going to be like taking the smog equipment off your car in a few years. I ride in our National Forest and I hope that Forest Rangers will not be out there looking for these mods and telling you that you cant ride without them. Just a thought, but mine is still coming off.

• odonnks

Posted May 17, 2006 - 05:20 PM

I am getting ready to install the TT kit. I only have one question? Is this going to be like taking the smog equipment off your car in a few years. I ride in our National Forest and I hope that Forest Rangers will not be out there looking for these mods and telling you that you cant ride without them. Just a thought, but mine is still coming off.

No one really knows. The AIS removal is not irreversable. Keep the items removed just in cast.

• yzinger04

Posted May 19, 2006 - 05:12 PM

Does anyone know what the difference is in the TT and GYT kit. This website will give you pic of the kit ( http://www.yamaha-mo...8/0/detail.aspx ) but the TT kit does not state what comes with it. I am about to purchase one and wanted to known which was the better. I already have the YZ throttle stop.

• OneToGo

Posted May 19, 2006 - 05:42 PM

The TT kit comes just with three plugs. Two for the head and one for the Airbox - nothing else. It is functional (as are both) and clean looking but not reversible. The GYT-R leaves metal fittings in the head (you remove these for the TT kit) and has rubber hose blanks that clamp on. Achieves the same thing but from reports are prone to some leaks. Does not look as clean as the TT installation. The GYT-R kit I believe also comes with a #48 jet and Throttle stop - is that right?
If you are a pusrist, are going to pruchase jets and needles anyway, and dont mind the permanant nature of the installation, I would go with the TT kit. Arguably the GYT-R is better value if you are going to use the other parts provided.
Make your choice and pay your money... :ride:

• BajaFool

Posted May 19, 2006 - 07:22 PM

The GYT-R Kit in addition to all of the blank off plugs required to eliminate the AIS includes a YZ Throttle Stop, 48 Pilot Jet and a 168 Main Jet. Additionally, the kit includes instructions to drill and remove the plug covering the Fuel Screw , remove the Air Box Snorkle, remove inner pipe of the muffler and install holes in the right side of the air box.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.