clutch question

1 reply to this topic
  • Hurricane

Posted October 23, 2001 - 07:30 AM

I'm replacing my clutch this week and I heard you need to soak the fiber plates in oil before you install them. How long do I need to soak them? Any specific oil? Also I run Mobil 1 15w/50 in my bike, do I need to run a non-synthetic oil to break in the clutch for a ride or two?

Thanks, Chris

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Woodzi

Posted October 24, 2001 - 02:11 AM

Use the same oil you run in the bike. The plates just need a thin coat of oil before they go together so they don't run dry when you start up. No need to soak them.

While you have the clutch apart, check the basket for grooves. If it is lightly grooved you can touch it up with a file.

Replacing the springs is usually a good idea, and is very inexpensive.

You will be amazed at the difference in feel with a fresh clutch. Well worth the investment.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.