Chain hitting the frame

4 replies to this topic
  • yamahaxt

Posted May 13, 2006 - 06:31 AM

On my wr450 2006 the chain is hitting the frame by the front sprocket. I checked the measurement and it is within specs. Is anyone having this problem and should I tighten it down a little.

Thanks for the help

• odonnks

Posted May 13, 2006 - 12:41 PM

I've heard and read of folks having this happen and most seem to chalk it up to a characteristic of the bike.
I just looked at mine and there is no where I can see that the chain made contact with the frame. (400 mi)
During the 'new' run-ins I kept on the chain because it will stretch the most when new and could need tightening every ride for a while.
I run mine on the tighter limit of the spec.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OneToGo

Posted May 13, 2006 - 10:38 PM

I let mine get 5-10mm out of spec (too loose) and heard the dreaded tinking noise on decel. When loose it will slap the subframe on the inside, part of WR life I hear.
As Odo. says, keep it on the tighter side, I now use the minimum setting and check every ride - no problems. you will have to adjust regularly at first.

• MojaveThumper

Posted May 14, 2006 - 07:52 PM

Mine is on the min side and I noticed it after a 13 mile ride. Just need to keep an eye on it.

Posted May 14, 2006 - 07:58 PM

My 04 does it as well. The first time I heard it I thought my engine was coming apart.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.