Rekluse...Little help please :)

7 replies to this topic
  • JoeJoe03

Posted May 12, 2006 - 07:54 PM

I have an '03 YZ450F...I love my rekluse! I ride mainly MX...

Here are my concerns: (my gap is set at .30) (stiff spring in turned out about 1/2 inch)

-When I put the bike in gear it pulls forward...I pull my clutch in which helps but if I have my clutch pulled in and blip the throttle it still pulls forward...???

-When I have my bike up on the stand and put it in gear, the rear tire spins fairly fast...if I pull my clutch in it slows down just a tiny bit....

-I am experiencing some slipping in 5th gear

Any suggestions??????

Thanks Bruthas! :ride:

• im_slo_on_my_sm

Posted May 13, 2006 - 01:36 PM

i have the same bike and had the same problems.

First of all did you soak the new clutch plates in oil? you should have done but not to worry.

Next imo the rekluse clutch instructions are rubbish with regard install gaps. every bike seems to require different that i've worked on. play with the install gap till its right but mine did try to pull a little till 'd ridden it for an hour. :ride:

• JoeJoe03

Posted May 13, 2006 - 02:33 PM

Thanks Bud!

Hey so then I have my clutch pulled in, is it not supposed to pull forward at all when i accelerate???

When on the stand and I put it in first gear....what should happen???? Should the wheel spin just a little and then stop when I pull the clutch in?

How do I get "proper clutch cable slack"??????

• kawirider

Posted May 13, 2006 - 07:45 PM

When my '03 is in neutral the front sprocket will spin slowly. (only if the chain is off) Your bike is not supposed to move at all with the clutch pulled in all the way. When you put the bike in first gear (with the clutch in) the wheel should spin slowly if it is up on the stand. You should not move at all when putting it in first gear while you are sitting on it with the clutch pulled in. To get proper clutch cable slack just play with your adjuster on your clutch perch until you have a TINY bit of play with the lever. There is no way you can have slipping in 5th gear because you have an '03 YZ450F and it only has 4 gears.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JoeJoe03

Posted May 14, 2006 - 04:41 AM

Thanks Kawi!

I did mean 4th gear :ride:

I will try playing with my perch adjuster again...I did before and didnt experience much of a difference.

I will try again...thanks!

• Fastest1

Posted May 14, 2006 - 09:26 AM

First of all the installed gap is probably accurate. Are you running the correct oil? The oil will still turn the clutch with no load, if it creeps when in gear chances are your gap is too small or your oil is too thick. Are you using 2 feeler gauges oposed to each other when measuring the gap? there should only be a slight drag on the feeler when extracting it. Are you using the same plates that were in your bike before the Rekluse? or did you install all new plates. Have you checked your gap since installation or only originally. Were the plates presoaked with oil if they were new?

• JoeJoe03

Posted May 14, 2006 - 01:52 PM

I got new steel plates and new friction plates which were soaked overnight before I installed them. I used 2 feeler guages opposite from eachother and had an install gap of .30 exactly with the guages sliding out pretty tight.

I use Rotella T oil and change it after every 4th ride.

I will play with the perch adjuster again and tighten the slack and see what happens???

When in neutral and on the stand my tire does not spin at all but when i put in in 1st gear it starts to spin fast and when I pull in the clutch it maybe slows down just a tiny bit.....

• Fastest1

Posted May 15, 2006 - 03:44 PM

The feeler gauge should slide out easily. The Rekluse actually has plenty of travel built within its pressure plate assembly. If you go to a larger installed gap the creeping will go away. I am not sure why it is slipping in higher gears, if it is. Try the larger gap first.

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.