Oil for a 1999 yz400f

5 replies to this topic
  • Markopolo400

Posted May 12, 2006 - 07:21 PM

It's time to change the oil in my 1999 yz400f, and I am a complete noob when it comes to anything with a 4-stroke.

The owner of the bike before me ran Yamalube 4-R in it. But I have been reading great things about Shell Rotella T in other threads.

Would the Shell oil be sufficent for my 400f? For some reason I am really worried that I will put in the wrong oil, which will make my clutch slip ect.

And which bottle would it be? http://www.rotella.c...ducts/index.php

Thanks.

• One Louder

Posted May 12, 2006 - 09:42 PM

I use the Rottela in the white bottle. It works great. Be sure to purchase an owners manual. You have to drain the oil from the frame and the case. I have a 98 yz 400 :ride:

• Chickenhauler

Posted May 12, 2006 - 09:45 PM

A great place to buy it is Wal-Mart $7 and change per gallon-Shell Rotella T 15w40-comes in quarts, 1 gallon jugs, 5 gallon buckets, and 55 gallon drums (if you ride a lot!)
1 gallon jug has a black cap, white jug, blue lettering and Rotella T will be just fine in your YZ400F! On your link you have posted the oil you want is the top one shown. Congrats and good ridin! :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Markopolo400

Posted May 13, 2006 - 08:39 AM

Be sure to purchase an owners manual

I already have one...But for some reason I could see me putting the wrong oil in and having my clutch slip and what not. Because when it comes to 4-strokes... :banana: (That me lol)

Thanks for the help guys. It is greatly appreciated.

I'll go pick up some Shell Rotella T then. :ride:

• theclone

Posted May 13, 2006 - 12:54 PM

What's wrong with Yamalube? It's pretty cheap, and since it's what Yamaha puts in the bikes, you know it's the right stuff. Not that theres anything wrong w/ Rotella.

• Markopolo400

Posted May 13, 2006 - 12:57 PM

Nothing is wrong with Yamalube, but the nearest dealer is 30min away, and closed right now.

But my dad is making a trip to buy grocerys right now, and he will stop at Wally world for me and buy 2 gallons of Rotella.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.