front brake locking up

2 replies to this topic
  • o4hondacrf230

Posted May 12, 2006 - 06:12 PM

Hi, I have a question about the front brake. I was riding, blew out the front tire and bent the rim, turned around and shortly there after the bike began to feel weird. The front brake was slowly starting to grip more and more until it would no longer spin stranding me in the woods. I had bled the brakes the day before and adjusted the lever to get more of a agressive feel. I think the problem is that I over adjusted so there was friction, the fluid heated up and expanded until the caliper locked it up. Does that make sense or could it be something else 2000 wr400 if that makes a difference. Any ideas and is it serious and how do i correct it. thanks for the advice -ed

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • txthumper

Posted May 12, 2006 - 06:51 PM

yep ..back off the adjustment, also there is a bleed hole inside the master cylinder, i have seen that plug up and cause brakes to stick. it takes a real small piece of wire to clean out hole

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted May 12, 2006 - 06:58 PM

Hi, I have a question about the front brake. I was riding, blew out the front tire and bent the rim, turned around and shortly there after the bike began to feel weird. The front brake was slowly starting to grip more and more until it would no longer spin stranding me in the woods. I had bled the brakes the day before and adjusted the lever to get more of a agressive feel. I think the problem is that I over adjusted so there was friction, the fluid heated up and expanded until the caliper locked it up. Does that make sense or could it be something else 2000 wr400 if that makes a difference. Any ideas and is it serious and how do i correct it. thanks for the advice -ed

Ed, you are "dead on" with your diagnosis! And the reason its not dumping the pressure is the piston in the master cylinder isnt coming all the way back to rest in the bore and opening what we call the replenishing port", so I can assume you adjusted the little adjuster on the lever? There MUST be slack in there when your off the brake.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.