IMS Tank Question

6 replies to this topic
  • JMathis

Posted May 12, 2006 - 05:52 PM

I have purchased an IMS tank off eBay for my bike but the gasket that was around the petcock is leaking very badly. Do any of you have this tank and can you tell me if there is an o-ring with the gasket or just a gasket. If you know of a gasket sealer that will with stand gasoline feel free to share that with me as well.

• Express

Posted May 12, 2006 - 07:10 PM

Dont know if all are the same but I recently installed an IMS on my bike and there wasnt any O-ring. Might want to try going to your local auto parts store and looking for a "generic" gasket that would be fuel proof and cut your own.

• Chickenhauler

Posted May 12, 2006 - 07:24 PM

OR...Check the auto parts store for Permatex-there are many different versions of this product and SOME, not ALL, are gasoline/ethanol fuel safe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wrmark185

Posted May 12, 2006 - 09:55 PM

Mine came with a thick rubber gasket that I used along with the o-ring that was already seated in the petcock. It seals great considering how rough the plastic is on that part of my tank.

• Desracer

Posted May 12, 2006 - 10:05 PM

I had to use a extra oil ring to get it to seal up. I also switched the screws to bolts. I just used an oil ring that was thin and easy go around the base of the petcock. I used the stock yamaha petcock, maybe a Ty Davis on would work better.

• Birdy426

Posted May 12, 2006 - 10:21 PM

Call IMS. They will be happy to send you a new gasket for a couple of bucks. It cost more to next day air ship the damn thing than the gasket cost, but they were quite helpful.

• JMathis

Posted May 13, 2006 - 05:48 AM

I was able to find an o-ring and put it in, no more leaks. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.