Title Transfer to CA

4 replies to this topic
  • CALVIN_KLEIN88

Posted May 12, 2006 - 04:20 PM

Looking for some registration help... Found an 04 YZ450 that is street legal with a street legal pink slip in wyoming. Anyone know if I can transfer the title to CA and keep it street legal? any help would be appreciated.

• evilinsano

Posted May 12, 2006 - 09:35 PM

You can transfer it and keep it street legal. You will just need to have the bike inspected by the DMV. All they check is the vin and engine number and they should give you CA plate the same day. If you get it let me know and maybe we can go ride. I have a plate WR400.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WheelsUp

Posted May 12, 2006 - 11:12 PM

Check the VIN first. In some states, you can get a YZ plated, but in CA, if there is a "C" or a "3" in the 8th digit of the VIN, you will potentially have a problem in CA.

• JSanfilippo

Posted May 13, 2006 - 12:18 AM

I think that if the bike has 7500 miles and it was plated where it came from, you get to transfer the plate. Read that somewhere not 100% though.

• Kirk_Ingram

Posted May 13, 2006 - 10:53 AM

All they check is the vin and engine number and they should give you CA plate the same day.

CA DMV will want to see smog equipment in place.
I tried to "transfer" my Vermont plated '01WR(CA red sticker bike) last year; no go without smog devices. Your YZ will have the same problems as my WR. Maybe you could borrow and install the equipment from a friend's WR; it will have to be officially verified; not sure how that would work out however.

OR

Some parts of Mendocino County do not require smog checks on vehicles. I would think a "transfer" in this county would be just simple transfer. I don't have any other details though.
Good luck!
-K

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.