Valve Adjustment

3 replies to this topic
  • Rocky

Posted October 23, 2001 - 06:00 AM

I have a 99 WR 400 with only 800 miles on it. I have never checked the valve adjustment. Are there any signs or indications that point to a need for valve adjustment?? The bike always starts on first kick hot or cold and runs great. I guess that I am just too lazy to take the topend apart and check the valves.
Thanks

• jamracing

Posted October 23, 2001 - 07:31 AM

CHECK YOUR VALVES YESTERDAY! If only you knew what mayhem can go on if valves are unchecked...
Usually, the first sign of tight valves is when the bike won't run as well after it warms up, and will spit and poot. The next thing to happen is usually burnt valve seats (hot gasses being pushed by the valves during the ignition process) that are coated with carbon deposits, and burnt valves. The first sign of that is lower compression.
Don't mean to alarm you, but an once of maintanence is blah blah...

------------------
Josh
01' WR426
99' YZ400
87' FZR1000
Uh, like twist the throttle...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rocky

Posted October 23, 2001 - 03:15 PM

Thank you for your advise. I checked the valve clearance today and 3 of them where too tight. Found the correct shims at local dealer for $8 a piece - had no choice!!!

when I put the cams back in, i followed the instructions and now i am not sure if they are aligned correctly. are there any pictures of the correctly aligned cams out there?
thanks

• jamracing

Posted October 29, 2001 - 06:52 AM

The manual tells all! Basiclly, you want the cam lobes pointing up and away from each other, while having the dots and letters ("I" and "E") line up, while having the crank at top dead center. After getting everything in line, turn the motor over with a wrench several tmes, and see if it's still in sync.
You can also go to a dealer, and have them photocopy those pages.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.