Oil capacity ?

5 replies to this topic
  • al_piv

Posted May 12, 2006 - 09:56 AM

I don't own a WR and am looking for a lighter dual sporter then my XR650R..
It holds 2.x liters...

• spritefiend

Posted May 12, 2006 - 11:14 AM

06 Manual says Total Capacity: 1.2L

• TimBrp

Posted May 12, 2006 - 12:03 PM

You getting rid of the pig Al? I still have mine but opted for a lighter 4 stroke. Love the yammie.

06' WR450f-About 1.25 quarts w/ filter change.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ibis

Posted May 12, 2006 - 12:14 PM

I think you'll love the WR450 as a dual sporter. I recently replaced my licensed 03 XR650r Baja bike with an 06 WR450 and just completed a 2100 mile ride down there. This is a very nice motorcycle. Highlights over the BRP are, feels way lighter, E button, stock suspension for a 180# rider works amazingly well, has enough unplugged power to keep up with an unplugged 650r in a beach drag race, and best of all, it was much easier to ride than my
Precision Concepts suspended XR650r.

The 1.2 liter capacity shouldn't be a dual sport issue. I've done 500-700 mile oil and filter changes with 2 KTM 400/450s ( ~ 1.2 L )and had zero problems. I did 3 oil/filter changes on the WR in Baja.

• evilinsano

Posted May 12, 2006 - 09:42 PM

You ever have any issues riding in baja. I fear the mexican government is so corrupt. I have wanted to go but want to go with someone that has been.

• WheelsUp

Posted May 12, 2006 - 11:10 PM

By the book, it's 1.2l.
I drop in 1.5qts with filter change and it's fine. These are dry-sump bikes, and as long as oil is not squirting out the dipstick tube when the engine is running, it's not overfilled.
In the case of a dry-sump, too much is better than too little.

It can actually accomodate as much as 1.8l before it's overfilled to the point that it will blow from the tank down the overflow back into the valve cover.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.