Jetting '06 WR450 in Hot Muggy East Texas

1 reply to this topic
  • ADVnaut

Posted May 11, 2006 - 10:10 PM

I live in College Station Texas, the weather changes here everyday. Temps will soon be close to 100 with serious humidity in the Brazos Valley. I have looked the Jetting Database over, I was just hoping to hear from some guys here in Central to East Texas for advice. I am waiting to get my JD jet kit, PMB, Storm fuel screw, and AIS removal to break it in. I am going to do it per Mototune. The first twenty miles is crucial and I don't want to be running lean and heating things up too much while seating the rings. It has 0.7 miles right now.

Thanks,
Scott

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OneToGo

Posted May 12, 2006 - 10:34 PM

I live in College Station Texas, the weather changes here everyday. Temps will soon be close to 100 with serious humidity in the Brazos Valley. I have looked the Jetting Database over, I was just hoping to hear from some guys here in Central to East Texas for advice. I am waiting to get my JD jet kit, PMB, Storm fuel screw, and AIS removal to break it in. I am going to do it per Mototune. The first twenty miles is crucial and I don't want to be running lean and heating things up too much while seating the rings. It has 0.7 miles right now.

Thanks,
Scott

Good idea, mototune or slightly less severe work.
IMO, also change the oil very often, perhpas even before you start the breakin - dont want crud in there when you are stressing the engine.
Re Jetting: I would go with MJ168/PJ48/ Clip#5 and fuel screw 1.5 with all the mods and airbox opened up. This may be slighly richer than spec but that is preferable. I'm at 80+f, Sea Level and 85+% Hum and these work but #5 is a tad rich.
Remember: dont Lug the motor, let it spin, slight and long uphills, through the gears (road works well) and load the motor on decel (you know this already!!). Also, let the motor COOL after each 10-15 minute session. Check or change oil and repeat...Also check this out:

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
New Engine Break-in Procedure

Enjoy, it is a great bike
:ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.