XR650R good for trails?

27 replies to this topic
  • weskc35k

Posted May 12, 2006 - 11:48 PM

MATE AT 6'5 AND 270 THE ANSWER IS AN EASY ONE.I'M ONLY SMALL AT 5'9 AND 235,EX POWERLIFTER THOUGH AND I HAVE NO WORRIES WITH IT.
AT YOUR HEIGHT YOU MAY NEED BAR RISERS AND HIGHER BARS MAYBE RENTHAL jIMMY BUTTON'S BEND SO YOU CAN KEEP THE 7/8 BARS.THE SEAT/BAR/PEGS RELATIONSHIP WILL BE MUCH BETTER FOR A BIG BLOKE LIKE THIS.
YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT.

• wickedsprint

Posted May 13, 2006 - 08:00 AM

People claim the DRZ400 series with comparable weight and less power are good trailbikes...so me thinks she does fine :ride: I am 5'10 and 155ish and I have no problems muscling it around on trails.

• aaronyzf426

Posted May 13, 2006 - 06:00 PM

6'2 & 260 here, all I ride is michigan single track tight stuff. I installed the Rekluse clutch last year & I'm in love all over again.

• ATCcrazy

Posted May 14, 2006 - 09:02 PM

Thanks again! I knew for my weight, I would have to do some suspension work on any bike I got. And the handlebar risers are a good idea I didnt think of. But I will have to see how the stock setup fits me too. Im mostly a "sit-down" rider....Im not as agressive as most of ya'll are :banana:

On related news...I got to ride a DRZ 200 for my Motorcycle Safety Class :ride: Talk about a lack of power...but I'd take it over the Honda Rebel's any day!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Miguel159

Posted May 15, 2006 - 06:13 AM

Hey ATCcrazy: When I recently bought my BRP I got the dealer to throw in Race Tech progressive fork springs at his cost ($100 Cdn). They called Race Tech and gave my weight and riding style and got the right weight springs for me. I'm 210 lbs w/o riding gear so I'm hoping the stock shock and spring in the rear will suffice. My PIG arrives this week :ride:

• xr500_89

Posted May 15, 2006 - 06:45 AM

you know im 6' 0" 180 lbs and i dont have a problem muscling that pig around either it does not feel like it looks when your on it.

• Midlife Rider SH

Posted May 15, 2006 - 07:18 PM

Don't skimp on the suspension. With your size, you'll want to re-valve and spring for your weight & riding style. It's spendy but well worth it.

• Thumpmeister

Posted May 15, 2006 - 09:44 PM

I'm 6'2"-3", about 255 lbs, and 10% body fat. I can pick the bike above my head...

I have NO trouble manhandling that bike. A lot of guys say "How can you ride a bike that big?" I just say "look at me", and outride them all.

Last thurs I went riding w/ a couple buddies in the woods here in central wash. Both of them have 2-stroke 250's. My BRP walked all over them in the woods. Weather it was tight trails, hopping over logs, or fast g-outs, I was able to fly.

The weekend before that we went out to the dunes. Not only would I dust them doing cross country, but would also fly further off dunes (having suspension REALLY helps).

Wouldn't have any other bike.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.