newbie oil quest 06 450

10 replies to this topic
  • RoughR1der

Posted May 11, 2006 - 05:46 PM

i know this has been dicussed, but here it is.

i bought some valvoline(??) 4 stroke oil (for street bikes). 10w-40 SAE. I couldnt find anything on the bottle about nonfriction modified. Will this do for my 06 YZ450F? I had Yamalube in it 10w-30. Its easier to get the other oil though.

thanks in advance

• RoughR1der

Posted May 11, 2006 - 06:55 PM

Grey?

• opie

Posted May 11, 2006 - 08:26 PM

Well I've only used Yamalube so far, but when I picked my bike up at the dealer I asked about oil and they said any good quality oil would work so I think you would be fine. P.S. Is this not the best bike you've ever ridden? I love mine almost more than life itself! :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted May 11, 2006 - 10:01 PM

In terms of the friction requirements, what you are concerned with is avoiding any oil marked "ECII", or "energy conserving" in the API service grade circle on the label. Your service manual shows this, I believe. In my '03 manual, it's on page 3-14.

Valvoline 4-stroke should be at least OK. Change often, and include the filter.

• RoughR1der

Posted May 11, 2006 - 11:53 PM

P.S. Is this not the best bike you've ever ridden? I love mine almost more than life itself! :ride:

YES! its the sh1t! love it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426pmb

Posted May 12, 2006 - 08:12 AM

The dealership told mb to run honda oil in mine (without moly) Said it's a better oil.

• bherstine

Posted May 12, 2006 - 08:27 AM

I just bought a 06 450 and started to use Yamalube because of the extended warranty I was able to purchase (talk about a sweet deal). It seems to be holding up fine. Not sure about the street bike thing.

One question, the owners manual stated that changing the oil and filter requires a little over 1 US quart. Did you notice that this measurement is wrong?

I checked with the service department and they asked me if I fired up the bike after I added the first quart. Because the manual never stated it, I never did. I had to put close to 2 quarts in my bike to get it up to a operating level. Sound familiar?

And yes, this 450 is awesome. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

• Wyatt

Posted May 12, 2006 - 09:23 AM

close to 2 quarts!!!!!!!!!

You have waaayyyy too much oi in your bike.

One quart will do it with a filter change.

• grayracer513

Posted May 12, 2006 - 10:13 AM

One question, the owners manual stated that changing the oil and filter requires a little over 1 US quart. Did you notice that this measurement is wrong?

I checked with the service department and they asked me if I fired up the bike after I added the first quart. Because the manual never stated it, I never did. I had to put close to 2 quarts in my bike to get it up to a operating level. Sound familiar?

You need to understand something very basic: You own a bike with a dry sump oiling system. In this set up, oil is stored in a reservoir separated from the actual crankcase. In your case, the usually separate reservoir is integrated into the engine cases, but is nevertheless a separate volume. Oil is pumped from the reservoir into and around the engine by the feed pump. As it drains to the crankcases, it is picked up by a second pump and returned to the reservoir. When you drain and refill your bike, you fill the crankcase, not the reservoir. The reservoir will be empty after you drain and refill. When you check the oil level, you check the reservoir and not the crankcase. If you do not first run the engine to return the oil from the crankcase to the reservoir, your oil level will read wrong.

If you look again at the section that describes how to check the oil, you'll see that it does indeed make the point that you must first run the engine, then check the level.

• RoughR1der

Posted May 12, 2006 - 01:27 PM

I just bought a 06 450 and started to use Yamalube because of the extended warranty I was able to purchase (talk about a sweet deal). It seems to be holding up fine. Not sure about the street bike thing.

And yes, this 450 is awesome. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Ouch!!! drain that oil dude! like they said you gotta start the bike and run it for a few min then check. and u missed it in the man, it says to run the bike, check again.

• SureBlue

Posted May 12, 2006 - 04:48 PM

I never stop wondering why somebody in general checks the oil level after oilchange. Do you really doubt how much you put in there?
If the manual says oilchange requires 1 liter oil and you put 1 liter there after draining, why check? All oilchange problems with these drysump engines are related to this dumb and unnecessary levelchecking. :ride:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.