For new YZ450 06 owners....

14 replies to this topic
  • maurpra

Posted May 11, 2006 - 06:04 AM

I did a search over the forum to find if someone was reporting similar problems but I couldn't find any relevant.

I got few reports from different yammy race teams that the new 06 450 engine has a lot of problems: maintenance has to be extremely frequent; intake valves failures. This last is so evident that I'm hearing that Yamaha EU ran out of 06 valve and some mec. are suggesting to swap back to 05 valves.

Now, not seeing nothing in this forum it sounds me strange as I think EU and USA version are pretty similar than.
Did someone heard something similar or experienced similar problems?

Thanks.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 11, 2006 - 06:33 AM

This is the first I have heard. Mine is flawless so far.

• SurvivorMan

Posted May 11, 2006 - 07:21 AM

Ichecked my valve clearances at 35 hours and they were within spec. the bike runs flawless, i hit neutral for the first time 2 nights ago....no problems so far and i must have at least 50 hours on it

• grayracer513

Posted May 11, 2006 - 07:31 AM

There have been some as yet not totally explained failures of '06 YZ250F engines that were due to valves breaking, but I haven't heard anyone say that they've had any trouble with a 450 at all.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 11, 2006 - 08:16 AM

I did a search over the forum to find if someone was reporting similar problems but I couldn't find any relevant.

I got few reports from different yammy race teams that the new 06 450 engine has a lot of problems: maintenance has to be extremely frequent; intake valves failures. This last is so evident that I'm hearing that Yamaha EU ran out of 06 valve and some mec. are suggesting to swap back to 05 valves.

Now, not seeing nothing in this forum it sounds me strange as I think EU and USA version are pretty similar than.

Thanks.

no this is a first.....no yamaha tech bullitens on this here

• mxmob33

Posted May 11, 2006 - 09:03 AM

I have about 50 hard hours on mine with no problems yet. The bike has been flawless so far.

• MXKyle

Posted May 11, 2006 - 10:05 AM

After six months I see nothing to indicate that the '06 YZ450 is any less bulletproof than any of the previous years.

--KT--

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CISCO

Posted May 11, 2006 - 10:05 AM

A few 250F's had valve issues. Beyond that Id recheck your info buddy. Sure your not thinking of a Honda? :ride:

• berudd

Posted May 11, 2006 - 11:14 AM

I checked an online parts list and the 05 and 06 YZ450F have the same part numbers for the intake valves so I am guess this is BS.

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 11, 2006 - 11:23 AM

Thanks.

You can always troll Kawasucki and suckzuki forums and empathaze with those poor saps about crappy engine life, horrific QA, and generally unreliable machines.

After all, I'm sure you've blown your CRF up a few times already.

:ride:

• Reyndogg

Posted May 11, 2006 - 12:59 PM

Don't feed the trolls.

• yamajoe

Posted May 11, 2006 - 08:48 PM

not ripping on the bike but mine ticks at idle :ride: :banana:

• maurpra

Posted May 12, 2006 - 01:54 AM

Beyond that Id recheck your info buddy. Sure your not thinking of a Honda? :banana:

After all, I'm sure you've blown your CRF up a few times already

I was sure to get some of above. You cannot resist, eh? :busted:

Even if I'm on red side (btw, my 02 CRF450 has still stock valves!) I'm not trying here to dimish any Yamy.
I'm in the aftermarket parts bus. here in Italy and I was quite surprised myself when I first heard those declarations from Yam. reps here. I thought: if it is so evident I should find something on TT. Did search, nothing found as expected so to double check I just placed direct question.

Now you guys demonstrated me that there is no real problem as was the same for previous years versions.
I did a look also to 250F forum and it seems there there is some valve issue but I believe all those 250 thumpers (no matter the color) sooner or later got it.

Anyhow, thanks for the fare answers and I apologize if I've "hurted" some "blue" souls! :ride: My questions were just professionaly related.

• NOMADAK

Posted May 12, 2006 - 08:20 AM

Don't feed the trolls.

Amen!

• NOMADAK

Posted May 12, 2006 - 08:20 AM

Don't feed the trolls.

:banana:
Amen!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.