New for 07 wr450's ?

31 replies to this topic
  • mrkknall

Posted May 10, 2006 - 10:18 AM

Just wondering if there was a consensus on possible changes for the wr450 in 2007 models? Will they change the frame to the new yzf aluminum one or stick with the current one?

• comrade_yzf

Posted May 10, 2006 - 11:26 AM

Im guessing they will put in an aluminum frame since other makes have them already. Also probably alot of little things that make a big difference. The 06 yfz450 had some 90 changes to it i think from 05. Rumors have been floating around of efi but im not counting my chickens yet.

• dbailey223

Posted May 10, 2006 - 11:46 AM

I've read here that most likely the YZ would get EFI first, then the WR the next year.

• OlaGB

Posted May 10, 2006 - 12:36 PM

If the EFI system doesnt come with a laptop and a "map the engine, for dummies" book, then i think most of the users in TT would prefer the carb like it is..

Honestly, i cant see the real benefits of the EFI on a dirtbike..

• dbailey223

Posted May 10, 2006 - 12:59 PM

I vote EFI

• KiwiRacer

Posted May 11, 2006 - 06:42 PM

The 07 WRF range will probably get the aluminum frame & the YZF plastics, Can't see any change in engine or EFI, Hope they don't go with the twin pipe thing that Honda have done.

• dez_rider

Posted May 11, 2006 - 07:54 PM

I vote EFI as well.

• odonnks

Posted May 12, 2006 - 01:10 PM

The problem I see with the AL perimeter frames is how tough it'll be to get at the carb for work. Yeah it's 'trick' and does permit the tank to go between the frame and lower the center of gravity (CG) but as often as we like to get at the carb...
If they go Al i'll wait for the Al frame w/EFI and just hook the computer up.

Re-mapping is a breeze. You don NEED a laptop to do it either, it can be done using devices that are handheld too.

I can't wait to be aboe to try 5 or 10 combinations a day or adjust 'on the fly'.

• comrade_yzf

Posted May 12, 2006 - 01:22 PM

The problem I see with the AL perimeter frames is how tough it'll be to get at the carb for work. Yeah it's 'trick' and does permit the tank to go between the frame and lower the center of gravity (CG) but as often as we like to get at the carb...
If they go Al i'll wait for the Al frame w/EFI and just hook the computer up.

Re-mapping is a breeze. You don NEED a laptop to do it either, it can be done using devices that are handheld too.

I can't wait to be aboe to try 5 or 10 combinations a day or adjust 'on the fly'.

I know its much better working on sportbikes to just plug and go. Getting to 4 carbs over one can be a chore in itself.

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 12, 2006 - 02:13 PM

Honestly, i cant see the real benefits of the EFI on a dirtbike..

Proper air and fuel delivery at any altitude or temperature does not sound like a "real benefit" to you?

Give me fuel injection and I'll give you every needle and jet in my box-o-carb parts :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted May 12, 2006 - 02:51 PM

Seriously guys , most of us ride in our own areas most of the time so once the carb is jetted how often do we adjust it other than a twist of the Zip-Ty fuel screw to compensate for weather temps. I ride from 4500-10,000 feet and have never had to do more than a 1/4 turn of the fuel screw during the summer months. Admittedly I'm no Ricky Carmichael ,that can feel every tiny change in the bike. I suspect that if we are honest about our abilities we will find out that alot of us aren't RC either.I say send in the EFI. WR Dave. :ride:

• OlaGB

Posted May 13, 2006 - 03:22 AM

Proper air and fuel delivery at any altitude or temperature does not sound like a "real benefit" to you?

Give me fuel injection and I'll give you every needle and jet in my box-o-carb parts :ride:

I understand the benefits, as long as you keep it stock..

But what are you guys in usa doing, when you buy a new WR450f efi, and the emission problems are solved by yamaha`s EFI mapping? I doubt that every shop has equipment and ability to change this map, and i doubt that this equipment, handheld or not, is so cheap to buy!

And then you go ahead and buy a new exhaust system, and want to port your head.. Then what? Do you think that everybody elses map are correct for youre bike as well?

I`ve programmed my own previous turbo car with Autronic EFI, and i doubt that more than 10% of the people in here are gonna think that this is easy..
(no i dont mean that i`m any better than you)

Ola

• chubbyfat

Posted May 13, 2006 - 04:18 AM

Power Commanders are fairly inexpensive (around $300) for what they do. new slip on? no problem. new full exhaust? no problem. If you own a computer, remapping EFI is so damn simple to do. I would rather remap my EFI while sitting on the couch with my laptop drinking a beer, than in the garage frustrated with archaic jets and needles.

I've seen the EFI debate on here for awhile now. I just don't understand why some people are so scared to break into something newer and better.

• comrade_yzf

Posted May 13, 2006 - 07:07 AM

The stock efi program will be a disapointment to some. If they make it like the 07 raptor it will only compenate for altitude and air ajustments. People will then complain about buying an aftermarket such as powercommander.

Custom maps are so much better for the bike than downloading one to fit your bike and mods. You can have people do it for you if your too lazy or dont know waht your doing.

• KiwiRacer

Posted May 15, 2006 - 02:06 PM

So Not knowing anything about EFI, What happens when you change the pipe etc, How does the EFI work then? Will it be able to change to suit the new pipe etc or will you have to re-map?

• OlaGB

Posted May 15, 2006 - 08:32 PM

Kiwi: If you read the posts i just wrote, you will understand that you have to remap/adjust the efi with an electronic controller or a laptop, to make it run correct after installing a pipe..

To call this easy for the averege joe, is a little optimistic if you ask me.. I`m not afraid of it myself, but it took me a while to learn this on the car i built.

Perhaps the pipes will be sold along with a EFI map that suits them.. But it still means you have to buy a controller, or deliver the bike to a dealer (my dealer is 200KM away)

• chubbyfat

Posted May 15, 2006 - 10:07 PM

you can either manually map your fuel injection to compensate for your mods(i.e. exhaust, cams) with the powercommander software that comes with the powercommander then load the map you just created into the powercommander. Or, if you're lazy like me, you can stick your bike on the dyno then map your powercommander.... or go to the dynojet website and they have recommended maps for your mods, then load those maps onto your powercommander. it is VERY SIMPLE

in a nutshell, no, efi does not automatically compensate for new pipes

• PfM

Posted May 17, 2006 - 07:56 PM

It really depends on your views on longevity. EFI either works brilliantly or not at all - a reflection of its' digital nature. Carbs can be worn or ill-adjusted to the $hithouse, but will still run and get you home. If you get a new bike every year - fine. I challenge you to find a GPz1100 with the original fuel injection gear still on it. Most "downgraded" to carbs and are still running.

That said Yamaha and all the others are aiming for us to buy a new bike every year, so EFI is a given - only qustion is when.

• huntmaster

Posted May 18, 2006 - 01:09 PM

I've seen the EFI debate on here for awhile now. I just don't understand why some people are so scared to break into something newer and better.

Experience is why. Almost every street bike that has converted to "fuel Infection" goes through a season of flat or glitchy throttle response until the factory inevitably sorts them out. Add battery requirements, hotter running and no tolerence for dirt (what kind of bikes are these again?) and it's not hard to see why some people are nervous about FI. If necessary, a carburetor is also a lot easier to service on the side of the trail 20 miles from your truck. Ask the red faced owner of the fancy Euro 450 EFI rig I once towed for 10 miles in the middle of no where during a trail ride once....with a crapped out EFI. That, despite already three or four years EFI history and sorting there from the factory!

It doesn't mean FI won't work well or ultimately get "sorted" out here. It's probably inevitable...it's just that (as intruiging as a next generation WR sounds) many won't be buying a first year model with FI!

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted May 18, 2006 - 02:08 PM

I have 2 cents to add to this. I had a KFX400 ATV with a Keihin FCR that was a pain to get jetted right. I never did get it exactly how i wanted. Recently i sold that and bought the 2006 Raptor 700 with EFI. Wow- fuel injection is so nice! I have done some intake and exhaust mods and had to put a Power Commander on it. And now, it runs soooo much better than any carb'd atv with mods i've ever ridden. So, I welcome all vehicles to have fuel injection. :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.