Raised forks

3 replies to this topic
  • feti

Posted May 10, 2006 - 09:17 AM

I raised my forks so the top line on the fork is exactly 1 centimeter from the top of the triple clamp, which puts the forks right at the handlebar. I'm only 5' 9", so the bike's a bit tall for me and I wanted to lower it and get better trail riding handling. Are the forks safe at the location they're at, or should I lower them a bit away from the handlebars? It seems to handle much betterr now, than it did with the stock height.

• muddza

Posted May 10, 2006 - 08:51 PM

I too did the same thing cause of my height, but soon realised that the bike actually handles worse. After six months riding with them way up in the triple clamps, I dropped them back to the first line on the fork and what do ya know, the bike has come alive again. At high speeds the bike will become very unsteady and twitchy causing massive head shake, very unpleasant wide open let me tell you.....whatever works for you though I guess......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • feti

Posted May 11, 2006 - 04:49 AM

Well, it seems like it might get to that unsteady point. I'm still in the break-in process, since I have very little time this week. I was a bit worried that may happen. I can drop them to the first line. All I know is they weren't at the first line when I changed them. The forks were all the way down so the top just barely stuck out of the triple clamp. Maybe the 1st line height will give me the same easy to turn feeling. Thanks for your advice.

• grayracer513

Posted May 11, 2006 - 07:07 AM

Any discussion of suspension modifications that compares what one user does with an '06 YZ450 to what anyone does with an '03/'05 is fundamentally off the chart. It's like comparing apples and elephants. They're two totally different chassis, with very different handling characteristics (although Yamaha, as always, focused on balancing in a good measure of stability).

Try your forks as you have them, and see if they work for you. '06 owner's have said that:

>Raising the forks to the first of the two scribed lines helps the front stick better.

> The bike is sensitive to sag settings, and seems happiest at around 95-98mm.

> The stock bars are too low for most riders, and using a higher bend seems to help with the tendency to wash the front end.

Otherwise, I've only been able to ride two, and I'd have to spend more time than I've put in on one to find much fault to think about improving, frankly.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.