Throttle Stop Screw

14 replies to this topic
  • yamahaxt

Posted May 10, 2006 - 07:40 AM

I have a 06 WR450 and am going to to the free mods myself. I am not much of a mechanic but I can do it. I need help finding the throttle stop screw ( I'm pretty sure I know were it is but I want to be sure.)

• Baron Von Beard

Posted May 10, 2006 - 07:42 AM

It's on the back, right hand side of the carb. Pull the black cover off the right side of the carb and you'll see it. It stops the throttle drum from turning. There's pictures around here somewhere...

If you look closely, you'll see a black screw facing upward toward the back of the carb (left in the picture). It is directly left of the AP timing screw and above the intake in the picture. It's an allen headed screw.

• odonnks

Posted May 10, 2006 - 08:16 AM

There is no real need to remove the cover. Plus, if the AIS is still installed its tough to get to unless its removed.
I found it easier to get to it from the left side by reaching in front of the rear tire and upward.

• yamahaxt

Posted May 10, 2006 - 08:17 AM

Thats what I thught it was but It is hard to get at.

Thank you

• yamahaxt

Posted May 10, 2006 - 10:17 AM

Does anybody know what the lenght of the yz450 throttle stop is. I would like to cut the one on my wr450 to that lenght.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted May 10, 2006 - 10:19 AM

Just back the screw out, open the throttle until the slide is totally clear of the carb bore, turn the screw in to meet the throttle drum, mark it and take off that amount.

• odonnks

Posted May 10, 2006 - 11:20 AM

Hear you go >>>

Don't cut it too short. You'll have problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sidewinder2

Posted May 10, 2006 - 12:31 PM

If its a WR throttle stop, cut 11mm off of it. Walla, a YZ throttle stop!! :crazy:

• dl19

Posted May 10, 2006 - 06:57 PM

Just buy a YZ and forget cutting it off. It is located at the back of the carb, and does not require removing anything. Simply get a long shanked allen wrench and turn it out and turn the new one in from the left side. You will see it at the back of the carb about half way up.

• MountainMax

Posted May 10, 2006 - 07:04 PM

i could not see it from either pic posted, is there a better installed pic? i still have the ais on my bike (will soon be removed) and can't even see the screw

• Matt C

Posted May 10, 2006 - 09:10 PM

I just got through swapping mine out for a yz screw. My bike only has 2 miles on it! I want to break it in with a real throttle.

I had to remove a vacuum dashpot that was held on with 2 8mm bolts in order to get to the throttle stop. This was from the right side of the bike. It was worth the effort.

• odonnks

Posted May 11, 2006 - 02:09 AM

Mountain Max -
Look again at this pic http://www.thumperta...ttachmentid=155

Look closely towards the left, above the black carb inlet, the black allen screw is installed brom the bottom, upwards. Its easy to see once you see it, kinda like one of those painting with all the hidden animals... Its blended in well.
Look at the picture center and then move out towards 10:00.

• yamahaxt

Posted May 11, 2006 - 07:37 AM

I would have to order the yz stop and I do not want to wait for it to come in.

• odonnks

Posted May 11, 2006 - 07:44 AM

If you cut it take a fine emery paper and smooth the edges of the end where you cut it. Then put just a dab of grease on the bare end.
A dremel tool with a cut-off wheel works the best.

• MountainMax

Posted May 13, 2006 - 06:45 PM

thanks, i just changed mine, with the carb out as i had to jet it up as per our buddies specs here....

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.