Best year of the XR650R?

4 replies to this topic
  • fanofhonda

Posted May 10, 2006 - 07:20 AM

I've decided to get the R, had 2 different L's, and was wondering if there was a best year of the R to get (aside from new). Can't afford a new machine. TIA.

• TimBrp

Posted May 10, 2006 - 08:32 AM

2002 and up have what fixes HONDA believes should be done, completed. I.E.-clutch bushing upgraded galley and the new countershaft seal. Other than that all years are the same aside from the BNG's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pchansen

Posted May 10, 2006 - 08:35 AM

There's absolutly no difference between the 650R years except that Honda modded a clutch bushing and counter sproket seal in 2002. More improtantly, I'd look for a well maintained example. Mine's a 2001 and had clutch bushing issues. A $12 fix, so if you buy a 2000-2001, change out the bushing before you even ride the bike. The "symptom" of a bad bushing is when the clutch basket siezes to the main shaft. Not good.

• fanofhonda

Posted May 10, 2006 - 11:59 AM

Great info. EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks guys.

• BWB63

Posted May 10, 2006 - 12:38 PM

As said, before, the counter shaft seal and clutch bushing were upgraded in mid 2001.

There are bikes in the year of 2003 that were still using the parts from 2001 bikes. My 2003 came with the old clutch bushing and counter shaft seal. So, was it just a 2001 with a 2003 name plate and those killer 2003 graphics's?
Biggest change each year is those graphic's! The 2006 graphics's totally suck and make that years bike worthless :ride: :crazy:

There was a run of XR650R's that had thicker engine cases, between 2002 and 2003. This was done to make the engine noise less.

In 2005 the fork compression valve port holes are a lot smaller but, they kept the same shim stack. This was done to help slow the front end for bigger riders. Makes the front end harsher. They seemed to have changed the fluid they used also. Stock compression valve holes are 2.65mm on 2000~2004 models but, I just did a 2005 that had much smaller 1.96mm holes. They can be ported out to 3.64mm making a much plusher ride but, needing a stiffer shim stack to make up for it.

Posted Image

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.