Not idling properly and stalling

5 replies to this topic
  • feti

Posted May 10, 2006 - 06:34 AM

I just purchased a brand new '06 450 two days ago. I have about 30 minutes of ride time on it.

First issue (idling):

I was adjusting the idle air screw last night once the bike was warmed up and it was idling for about 20 to 30 seconds with the choke off and then it'd stall. Once I rode it a bit more it refused to idle when put back into neutral.

Second issue (stalling):

The bike tends to stall when in low rpms and in gear. I have to keep it reving, with or without the clutch in (around tight corners) to keep it running. Is this common? I'm coming from a Banshee, and I'm brand new to the four-stroke world, but from what another response somebody had concerning a related issue, the bike should at least stay running and idle even in gear with the clutch in (without reving), and even when it's out.

• kxman

Posted May 10, 2006 - 08:14 AM

There is a knurled knob that you turn to adjust your idle speed. Turn this clockwise and it will raise your idle speed. Your owners manual shows this.

• RoughR1der

Posted May 10, 2006 - 12:46 PM

you're going to need to rejet it and buy an aftermarket fuel screw. most ppl r going with 170 main / 48 pilot. since it's getting hotter though you might go with a 165/45 depending on your elevation.

get a new front tire and chain too

awesome bike, enjoy!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • feti

Posted May 10, 2006 - 12:54 PM

I think I'll go grab a couple pilot jets at the local shop. Thanks.

• dieselmgr

Posted November 20, 2006 - 03:48 AM

I purchased an 06 450 and had the same exact experience. Rejet and adjust fuel screw took care of the problem.
Runs perfect now!

• sidestand

Posted November 24, 2006 - 02:54 PM

A flywheel weight will keep it from stalling coming into slow corners or after
a long pull on a hill, adjust the air screw to the best idle and forget it.
you shouldn't have to raise the idle to where it's obviously too fast.
get an after market air screw so you can just reach down and adjust it.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.