Downshifting at a stoplight

7 replies to this topic
  • Jawmail

Posted May 10, 2006 - 04:36 AM

Why is it when I stop completely and then try to downshift to first it doesn't go easily. The lever moves but no downshifts occur. I have to tap the lever down like 10 times. If I'm moving then it downshifts normally with a clunk. Any ideas.

• gnarly sprockets

Posted May 10, 2006 - 04:38 AM

It's normal. Get your shifting done before you are stopped.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted May 10, 2006 - 05:06 AM

Mine does the same thing. :crazy:

Once I am stopped, I let the clutch out slightly, just enough to start to engage, then shift down into 1st and it seems to go in fine.

I am never done shifting into 1st at stop signs, only get as low as second, much to large of a "gap" between 1st & 2nd gear for me to use it as a braking downshift effectively.

I'd chirp the wheel going into 1st if i tried.

• Supplicate

Posted May 10, 2006 - 05:50 AM

I am never done shifting into 1st at stop signs, only get as low as second, much to large of a "gap" between 1st & 2nd gear for me to use it as a braking downshift effectively.

I'd chirp the wheel going into 1st if i tried.

clutch control :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sorenlaf

Posted May 10, 2006 - 07:05 AM

Why is it when I stop completely and then try to downshift to first it doesn't go easily. The lever moves but no downshifts occur. I have to tap the lever down like 10 times. If I'm moving then it downshifts normally with a clunk. Any ideas.

Why is it your fault when your woman buys pants that make her ass look fat?

Same answer: "that's just the way it is..."

Motorcycle use a constant mesh transmission. Shifting is acomplished by engaging and disengaging "dogs" in the transmission; no gears actually engage or disengage.

W/o getting into even more details, the dog engagment works best when both primary (engine) and secondary (wheel) transmission shafts are turning.

--Soren

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted May 10, 2006 - 08:35 AM

Why is it your fault when your woman buys pants that make her ass look fat?

The pants don't make her ass look fat, her overeating makes her ass look fat.
:crazy:

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted May 10, 2006 - 10:11 AM

The pants don't make her ass look fat, her overeating makes her ass look fat.
:crazy:

:ride: :ride:

• Muddin

Posted May 10, 2006 - 11:19 AM

:crazy: :ride: Downshift a little faster and make her squeal like a pig :ride: :lol:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.