KLX 300 vs WR 426

9 replies to this topic
  • THUMPERPWR

Posted October 21, 2001 - 01:00 PM

IM WANTING TO BUY A NEW BIKE , AND I CAN GET MY HANDS ON A KLX FOR HALF THE PRICE THROUGH A FREIND , HAS ANYONE EVER RIDDEN ONE OF THESE? CAN YOU TELL ME SOMETHING ABOUT THEM? WILL IT COMPARE TO THE 426 WITH THE CARB &PIPE MOD ? I RIDE WOODS AND HAIRSCRAMBLES ON A 92 XR 600 AT THE MOMENT AND AM JUST LOOKING FO SOME HELP WITH MY CONFUSION! HAPPY THUMPING!

• Blue_Boner

Posted October 21, 2001 - 05:08 PM

ThumperPwr, I'm sorry but I haven't actually ridden a KLX, although I have heard a few things about them. First, they have poor ground clearance compared to a lot of bikes, second they are quite heavy and last they are down on power. I think it would take a lot more than a carb and pipe to bring it close to stock WR power. I think you would spend all of the money you saved on buying the KLX trying to make it a better bike. I don't mean to bash the KLX but it is an older model you are trying to compare to more recent technology. Happy Trails, Eric

------------------
98 WR400 "Strokerized"
97 EXC400
93 RMX250

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 21, 2001 - 05:22 PM

I have a WR426 and just last week I had a chance to ride a KLX300. If you are a new at riding and want a friendly bike to learn on this would be a good choice for you. However if you have any expierence on a dirt bike you will think this bike could'nt pull the balls off of a hummingbird!!!!! Slow,Slow,Slow!!! No bottom end at all. Dont get me wrong the thing handles great!!!!! Just not enough power for most of us.

• KLXer

Posted October 21, 2001 - 07:03 PM

I ride a KLX and can tell you that stock the bike is a play bike. It is however very hop up potential. I only weigh 140 lbs. so power is not hard to come by. With the WR you get newer technology. I love my bike but also know it has some limitations. I also know that I am the only thing that keeps me from doing the things my dad and uncle do o there Wrs. (my dads used to be a wr now its a confused mess yz with a wr tranny) Anyway my new carburator is on order and I'll let you know the difference it makes. Sorry for babbling so long...it runs in the family

------------------
01 KLX, FMF Powercore IV muffler 14/52 gearing, stroker hot start button-hey at least I can still kick, unlike those KTM people

• DOC

Posted October 22, 2001 - 01:11 AM

the KLX300 will out steer and out handle a WR400/426, no worries.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted October 22, 2001 - 03:44 AM

I had a chance to ride Howard Huge's fathers (Slow Jim) KLX (I have a 00' WR). The bike had been modified with a pumper carb,I believe,so it has more power than stock. If you're going to be racing harescrambles this bike isn't for you. The suspension is ok, power is ok, brakes and steering are excellent! But you're talking apples and oranges compared to the WR. An equal rider on the WR would slaughter the KLX.

Mike

• Howard_Huge

Posted October 22, 2001 - 02:33 PM

Hey Mike, Tell that to Larry Rosler, he's been racing the little green pea as long as most of us care to remember. You can't tell how good a bike is by riding it for a couple of corners. After a week on the KLX I was seriously thinking about racing one with a 341 kit installed, of course the going would have to be tight for the handling verses horsepower tradeoff to work. Next time we all get together i'll follow you on the green pea and see if it can keep up Posted Image Don't be suprised if it shows you a wheel when you least expect it...

Stroker can raise the footpegs a little but the frame rails will take a beating in the rocks but then again any bike I ride throgh the rocks is going to come out with some frame rail damage.

The Green Pea Rules, huge

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted October 22, 2001 - 06:04 PM

The KLX is a great bike, it's light and it handles very well. it's a wonder they didnt sell more of them. that bike was ahead of it's time when it first came out. but honda had the market sewed up with the XRs reputation.

------------------
Chris

• darbsitton

Posted October 23, 2001 - 01:10 AM

The KLX is worth half the price of a WR Posted Image

My dad has a KLX 250 pumped up to a 300 with suspension mods, hot start, larger header pipe, stronger valve springs, different carburator, jetter right with about anything else you can think of. He is meticulous and it is set up very good. It made me want a 4 stroke. He loves the bike.

He test rode my basically stock WR426 for about 20 minutes. Then he proceeded to RIDE my 426 for the rest of the day with an ear to ear grin. He is now contemplating coming out of retirement for long enough to get the money to buy one.

426 has more bottom end torque, more top end horse power, and better suspension at the cost of a little weight.

• One_Dollar

Posted October 24, 2001 - 09:17 PM

I'll give my 2 Cents.

For tight twisty singletrack, the KLX. For more open trail or track, the WR. The KLX is very light (231lb. dry) so whoever said it was heavy must have been compairing it to a 2-stroke.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.