Step Seat for YZ450?

13 replies to this topic
  • mxmob33

Posted May 09, 2006 - 12:09 PM

Does anyone make the Windham style step seat for the YZ450F? I've ridden a few CRF450's with them and they make a noticiable difference.

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted May 09, 2006 - 03:11 PM

Why not make your own with an electric filet knife and a palm sander to sooth over your work, then staple her back up.

Dirty

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted May 09, 2006 - 03:16 PM

Why not make your own with an electric filet knife and a palm sander to smooth over your work, then staple her back up.

Dirty

• mxmob33

Posted May 09, 2006 - 03:26 PM

After some more research, I'll answer my own question...

Yes, GUTS racing has recently started making the step seat for Yamahas. From my limited test rides using one, they definitely help keep you up on the seat accelerating out of corners.

• ARSarizona

Posted May 09, 2006 - 04:21 PM

Here's the link for Guts Racing. I just saw it in Dirt Bike Mag.

http://gutsracing.com/

• FFRacing79

Posted May 09, 2006 - 07:14 PM

Durelle racing Products and Saddlemen

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 09, 2006 - 10:09 PM

Make your own. Save some dough. Its easy and then you can customize it just for you. I did two of my bikes just to help me reach the ground better. But I love em for hillclimbing too. :crazy: :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamahacrazy_310

Posted May 10, 2006 - 06:26 AM

$80 that isn't bad at all......I think that is the next thing going on my bike.

• NOMADAK

Posted May 10, 2006 - 06:53 AM

SDG makes the best seats out there.http://www.sdgusa.co...?m=main&id=main

In my opinion, keep your stocker stock! It is not that much $$$ to get an aftermarket seat.

Getting a seat shaped well enough that it won't look like an abortion takes alot of expensive tools and alot more know-how!

• mxmob33

Posted May 10, 2006 - 08:41 AM

SDG only makes the step-seat for hondas (the Windham Seat).

You know, I've been riding two stroke smokers for the last 16 years and never had a problem with sliding back on the seat until my new 450 thumper. I think it's the added power combined with the how flat the seat is on the 06 YZ450.

• yamaha_yz426

Posted May 10, 2006 - 09:41 AM

hey. im sorry but how do i create a post just like you did about the step seat??? also how could i see if someone replies to me?

thanks alot

• mxmob33

Posted May 10, 2006 - 12:11 PM

Click the "new thread" button at the top of the page.

• Wicked Xtreme

Posted May 14, 2006 - 05:33 AM

ok, I just ordered the step seat kit from Guts Racing. I will give a review when I get to ride it. I haven't ridden in two weeks. 4 busted ribs and a separated shoulder has got me singing the blues.
I know I need a step seat for sure. Quick reason, At one of my tracks there is a section that you come out of a right hander into a 200ft uphill. Well, with the 450, it just rips up the hill and I noticed a little draft down my pants. the bike was pulling my pants down because the seat was holding my pants, but I was sliding out of them.
Now I have riding shorts, since the boxer briefs didn't las long rubbing on the gripper seat.

I will give a full report on my butt sliding experience when I get it all installed.

TT RULES!!

• Wicked Xtreme

Posted May 22, 2006 - 05:49 PM

I just installed my guts racing step seat. It is almost the same density foam as my stocker. It is mounted by using 3m snot adhesive I call it, not double sided tape. Works well but the edges were raised a little. I trimmed the edges with a knife and some sanding to smooth it out. That was the easy part. The seat cover that they supply is a descent full gripper. The Pain in the Butt part was installing the damn thing. Now I'm no upholsterer, but I have installed many seat covers. I would think that the seat cover they supply would be a little different to accommodate the step. Nope, it was a standard cover, so getting it to fit was a nightmare. I will post some pics as soon as I can. If I cannot get it perfect I think I will have to go to an upholsterer and have it done. But it looks almost perfect now. Next update will be how it feels, It felt comfortable in the garage, the track will tell. In case you are wondering, this is on an 06' 450.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.