450 longevity

7 replies to this topic
  • pdxr6

Posted May 09, 2006 - 05:55 AM

I am looking at buying my first 450. I am curious what I can expect for longevity of the 450, considering the previous owner performed regular maintenence. TIA

• dbailey223

Posted May 09, 2006 - 10:11 AM

If it's an 03 450, check into whether the 04 parts were slapped on it to replace the 03 starter parts. I shouldn't say this because I'll probably jinx myslef, but I have the 03 and have not had the starter problems that many have had.

• pdxr6

Posted May 09, 2006 - 01:08 PM

How many miles are people getting before a major rebuild? I am new to dirt bikes so I don't know what to expect. I ride sportbikes and I know as long as you keep up on maintance they will run for a very long time.

• andyb74

Posted May 09, 2006 - 02:14 PM

i pick my 04 wr450 up on saturday av the socalled starting probs been sorted on this model or ?????????????
thanks in advance
andy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frank_z28

Posted May 09, 2006 - 02:57 PM

If it's an 03 450, check into whether the 04 parts were slapped on it to replace the 03 starter parts. I shouldn't say this because I'll probably jinx myslef, but I have the 03 and have not had the starter problems that many have had.

I just buy a 2003 and my i have some problem with my starter. The casing is broken where the bolt hold it. I don't know if that the common problem with the 2003 starter. When ill buy a new one what the best thing to do or buy to avoid breaking it.

• dbailey223

Posted May 09, 2006 - 04:06 PM

The starter issue was only with the 03, as far as I know. Lots of posts here if you do a search. For the 03s, a "fix" that the dealers did involved the fabled "woodruff key" and a little loctite. It has worked for me so far. Fingers crossed. The dealer did it before I picked up the bike new.

Because the "fix" wasn't too great a fix, many have bought the parts for the 04 model and put them on the 03. I don't believe that it's the actual starter itself, but rather the flywheel and the cover, if I recall right.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted May 10, 2006 - 02:27 AM

got a 1998 YZ400F with nearly 15,000 miles on it and not one problem. Valves have never even been adjusted.

• simon@vic

Posted May 10, 2006 - 05:06 PM

i would think the 450 motor should be good for about 50 000km. but only if you buy it new and constantly change the oil {500km} and check/shim the valves when needed.

if you buy a used bike it can blow up the next day! most people don't let there bike warm up properly and neglect the oil! having said that, there are good deal to be found.

I'm at 45 000km+ on my 2004. i have never had a mechanical problem with it other then a water pump seal failing. has been raced SM, practice days SM, raced HS, constant bush bashing {13/50 gearing}, to and from work daily, and around town with a skinny girl on the back at night. i would buy a WR as my next bike if it had a 6 speed wide ratio trans {or there was a kit}. :ride:

p.s. i have changed my oil over 100 times. oil is blood!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.