What to lookout for while rebuilding the forks on a 93 XR600

2 replies to this topic
  • cleonard

Posted May 08, 2006 - 11:09 PM

I took everything apart and cleaned all the crap off. There was a lot of it. A bunch of black sludge with metal particles at the bottom. The bushings were pretty much worn out and the lower bushings had metal embedded in the remaining plastic coating. The metal came from the inside of the fork pipe (long steel chromed steel tube) where the damping cylinder bushing runs. The inside of the pipe has some abrasion where the metal came from. The damping cylinder bushing had a lot of metal embedded in it. Is this a problem? The piston and the other parts look good. I'm planning replacing all the bushings and the seals.

Is there anything else that I should be looking for, checking, or replacing?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmhrc630

Posted May 09, 2006 - 01:58 AM

Dude I think they're your standard cartridge forks - I have never been in them but people rave about them as great offroad forks.

Good job on doing a rebuild yourself.

• NorCal620

Posted May 09, 2006 - 02:22 AM

sounds like the metal shaving came from the worn sliders and bushings so dont worry. And be glad they arent twin chamber showas, they are scary the first time in em. Make sure to measure both of the springs free length to make sure they are still in spec, ohh yeah and have fun thats what suspension should be all about

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.