650r edelbrock tuning/starting point

7 replies to this topic
  • DGA

Posted May 08, 2006 - 08:05 PM

I tried to search and it says searching has been temporarily disabled. Anyway I just installed the QS carb and had a hard time starting the bike. It doesnt idle. It smells funny like running lean I think. Pops on decel.

I live @1000ft elevation at about 75 degrees.

My carb was bought off ebay and didnt come with instructions.

How do I adjust this thing? and what is a good starting point.

Bike is uncorked with airbox mod from barnums pro.

• Ramcc4x4

Posted May 08, 2006 - 08:21 PM

It depends on your bike's setup. Is your side panel modified? Aftermarket header? HRC tip, aftermarket muffler, drilled tip? My bike ran way too lean with the settings recommended by Edelbrock. I would richen (turn the adjuster knob clockwise) 2 clicks to see if that helps. You also want to check to see what needle you have installed. I'm guessing with an unmodified side panel, stock header and HRC tip you'll probably end up with a #19 needle 12-15 clicks from full rich and 1.5-2 turns on the accelerator pump.

• Agent2

Posted May 09, 2006 - 07:42 AM

Simple question, you say you got your carb off ebay -does it have the adjuster knob - a red knob on the top of the carb, or is there a plug in it's place? If it doesn't, you might want to get one, makes it a lot simpler to adjust. The throttle must be held wide open for the adjuster knob to engage - push the knob down and twist, you will feel it "fall" in place. Turn the knob clockwise until it stops (right is rich - left is lean), then start turning counterclockwise, counting the clicks. Also, when the engine is cold you have to turn up the idle adjust. A Edelbrock equipped 650r properly set up will start first or second kick.

• DGA

Posted May 09, 2006 - 09:56 AM

Uncorked, airbox mod, stock exhaust.

Bike was hard to start. Smelled like it was lean on warmup. Popped slightly on decel. Didnt idle at all.

It depends on your bike's setup. Is your side panel modified? Aftermarket header? HRC tip, aftermarket muffler, drilled tip? My bike ran way too lean with the settings recommended by Edelbrock. I would richen (turn the adjuster knob clockwise) 2 clicks to see if that helps. You also want to check to see what needle you have installed. I'm guessing with an unmodified side panel, stock header and HRC tip you'll probably end up with a #19 needle 12-15 clicks from full rich and 1.5-2 turns on the accelerator pump.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DGA

Posted May 09, 2006 - 09:59 AM

Yes it does have the red knob on top.

Simple question, you say you got your carb off ebay -does it have the adjuster knob - a red knob on the top of the carb, or is there a plug in it's place? If it doesn't, you might want to get one, makes it a lot simpler to adjust. The throttle must be held wide open for the adjuster knob to engage - push the knob down and twist, you will feel it "fall" in place. Turn the knob clockwise until it stops (right is rich - left is lean), then start turning counterclockwise, counting the clicks. Also, when the engine is cold you have to turn up the idle adjust. A Edelbrock equipped 650r properly set up will start first or second kick.

• creeky

Posted May 09, 2006 - 02:20 PM

Call Edelbrock @ 1-877-888-7504, they will be happy to send you tuning instruction sheet.

• calxi

Posted May 09, 2006 - 03:16 PM

I just called and had them email me the instruction supplement. Recieved it about 5 minutes after I hung up!

• Old_Man_Time

Posted May 09, 2006 - 03:43 PM

Did it come with the idle adjust cable intact. Between the idle adjust cable and the red knob on the top of the carb this is the most convenient carb I have ever worked with to adjust.

You can have the stock exhaust but you do need the power up tip installed or the stock tip drilled out with a 2" hole saw. The carb is not designed to work with the plugged up stock exhaust tip.

Mine is set at 16 or 17 clicks out from full rich. I also have the squirt screw all the way out. I have a stage one hotcam which may slightly effect my settings and I ride from 1500 to 5000 feet above sea level.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.