i need help

20 replies to this topic
  • mxrider250br

Posted May 08, 2006 - 01:58 PM

:crazy: k so i got a 04 yz450f and last time i rode coolant was leaking somehwere so it was smokin cuz the coolant was touching the xhaust, i just got a call from the radiator repair shop, and under 40 psi it did not leak anything.. do u guys know what it might be??? i saw that there is like a whole on the front of the head of the enigne that looks like it needs a screw u in ther eor something, and when ilooked there was some coolant around the hole.. do u guys have an idea of what it might b??

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 08, 2006 - 02:17 PM

Please rephrase the question in proper grammar and English spelling please. :crazy:

• mxrider250br

Posted May 08, 2006 - 02:20 PM

my bike is leakin coolant somewhere, and it is not the radiator because i justgot it checked and it is not.. there is like a open hole on the engine that i guess goes a screw in it.. it is located about the height of the bottom of the radiator on the cylinder of the engine.. do any of u guys know what it might be??? :ride: :crazy: :ride:

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 08, 2006 - 02:27 PM

There is a small drain hole for the spark plug recess on the right side of the head. Is that what you are talking about?

Let me ask you this.

Is there a coolant overflow hose attached right under your radiator cap? It would be clear in color if its a factory hose. Is it there?

• mxrider250br

Posted May 08, 2006 - 02:31 PM

yaa thats the hole.. on the right side.. ur right i guess and yes there is a clear hose on the neck of the radiator, and it was tightly close.. so im guessing it was not that

• viking_in_wa

Posted May 09, 2006 - 06:19 AM

i think you need to be a little more clear about your description, does the bike leak coolant only when you let it idle for a few minutes sitting still? this is common for these bikes to do that if they are idling for a length of time wiyhout being reved or riden.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 09, 2006 - 10:29 AM

In order to help you please be more descriptive -
Hole in the front of the cylinder? Or the exhaust side?
Overflow hose from radiator - is this dropping the coolant? Could be a radiator cap issue

Check the radiator hoses - one is close to the header pipe -

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2006 - 11:06 AM

If you think you have a leak at the right radiator because you see smoke and clear fluid around that area, I would suggest looking to see if the decompression shaft bore plug has flown away. If it has, there will be a penny sized hole in the front of the head just above the exhaust pipe.

If this is the case you can:

Replace it with the same piece of * and hope for the best, or,

Use an 18mm steel or brass cup plug (freeze plug) (a little tricky to install), or,

One of These

• mxrider250br

Posted May 09, 2006 - 02:22 PM

yea thats what it is.. decompression plug.. my bike is missing that, the hole has no cover in it its missing that.. so do u think thats what it is

• 1rkcooper

Posted May 09, 2006 - 05:58 PM

Start the bike and watch very closely as to where the leak is comming from. Check all of the hoses and connections. As stated above, the hole on the right side of the head is a drainage hole at the base of the spark plug.

If it is missing the decompression plug it would be a good idea to get a new one and install it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted May 09, 2006 - 06:31 PM

those bikes need to br RUN. idling will puke coolant after 2 minutes. sounds like you need to just ride that mofo. also, get engine-ice, it'll help some. ride...ride...ride; or trade it for an electric start.

• mxrider250br

Posted May 09, 2006 - 07:05 PM

okay.. thanks for the help guys.. i got the decompression plug on the way.. i hope thats what it is.. but i do ride ride ride.. and even when im riding riding riding it still pukes pukes pukes.. owell thanks.. the decompression plug should be it..

• One Louder

Posted May 09, 2006 - 11:28 PM

okay.. thanks for the help guys.. i got the decompression plug on the way.. i hope thats what it is.. but i do ride ride ride.. and even when im riding riding riding it still pukes pukes pukes.. owell thanks.. the decompression plug should be it..

If your riding and it's still puking coolant you may have a head gasket issue :crazy: . just a thaught

• barch88

Posted May 10, 2006 - 06:46 AM

How can you tell your puking when your tearing up the dirt? I myself don't really look down.

• mxrider250br

Posted May 10, 2006 - 01:28 PM

Well i mean when u ride and c smoke and u can smeel it i mean yea it is gonna get ur attention right??? well it got mine thats 4 sure...

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2006 - 02:23 PM

Why would you knowingly ride the bike with an open hole in the head? Do you have one in yours?

• bg10459

Posted May 10, 2006 - 03:16 PM

yea thats what it is.. decompression plug.. my bike is missing that, the hole has no cover in it its missing that.. so do u think thats what it is

While gray is usually right and your decomp plug may indeed be missing, I can't explain why it would be the cause of the leaking coolant :ride: .

• ravensplay

Posted May 10, 2006 - 09:59 PM

I could be wrong here but if your leaking coolant from the decomp plug you would have more problems than a coolant leak. I would clean the area well and spray foot powder around the front of the engine. You will be able to see the leak better that way. Also I would be looking around where the coolant pipe enters the motor just above the exhaust pipe and more center to left of the front because the only seal there is an oring and if the pipe and oring arent just right you will have a leak for sure. And from experience dont ever miss handle that pipe because just one small bolt holds it in place.

• Bush

Posted May 16, 2006 - 08:40 AM

I had the same (sounds like it) problem on my 99 400f. It seems the water pump bearing was worn. i replaced both bearings and seals and a new shaft, and the problem ws fixed. also had to replace the rad cap because with the new pressure,it had started to leak by. Hope this helps

• kid on a 426

Posted May 20, 2006 - 06:13 PM

I think you guys are thinking too hard about this problem. I can't really tell but it doesn't sound like this guy has ridden it since it was "puking" coolant. He also said that it leaked when riding and judging by his grammar and his mechanical abilities I think it's something simple like a loosing hose or fitting. Always check the simple stuff first.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.