Thank You

12 replies to this topic
  • feti

Posted May 08, 2006 - 10:02 AM

I've spent the past few nights doing nothing but reading threads on CR and YZ bikes, and you all have (unconciously) helped me make a decision. I'm going to purchase a YZ450F tomorrow morning.

Before I purchase it, I need to know if the bike is ridable (nothing major for the next few weeks) with the stock chain, until I replace it with an x-ring in a couple weeks. I won't be riding it too much yet, because I have a lot around the house I need to finish, but is the stock chain so bad that it can't handle maybe 4 or 5 hours of riding in the next few weeks?

Also, the stock jetting I've read is most likely not going to work. So what I need from you guys is a good resource of where I can get a topography map for my area (North Eastern Ohio), so I can determine my elevation. Once I get that I'll come back here for a quick tip on what jets to run.

Thanks a lot guys for the help!

Edit: I may sound newbie, because I am. I'm coming from a quad (Banshee) world. I realize four strokes are a bit different, so I'm going to grab myself a Clymers manual and ask any specific's here that I can't get answers on.

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2006 - 10:17 AM

Glad to hear you're finally going to ditch your training wheels and go riding. :crazy:

Try Terra Server for your topo map (default is an aerial photo, but they show both. Widen out to find your locale, then zoom in).

You're going to be happier with an OEM manual than a Clymer's. What year are you buying?

When you look for jetting suggestions, look at the Jetting Sticky at the top of the index page.

• feti

Posted May 08, 2006 - 11:00 AM

I'm purchasing an '06.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 08, 2006 - 11:00 AM

Welcome aboard - you will luv that 06 YZF -
chain is ok for a ride - Although I would not even use it....
Jetting will be trial and error....I am 170/48 others are 165/45

• FriscoKLR

Posted May 08, 2006 - 12:06 PM

I ordered one ('06 YZ450F) from Thumpertalk last Monday. It got to Denver on Thursday and I put it together in about an hour on Friday, taking my time. Rode it all weekend!!!

It's an incredible bike. Not sure on the chain issue, I bought one and replaced it before I rode it. That and a bunch of other stuff, but than again I saved about $1,200 compared to what the local dealers wanted to charge with setup, freight, paperwork and sales tax...

Enjoy.

• barch88

Posted May 08, 2006 - 12:12 PM

Just check over everything (fluids) because the person preping your bike may want to get off early for a hot date and forget something.

Stock chain will be fine for a little while, you should be good. Im still using mine until it really really gets bad, then I plan on replacing all sprockets and all too.

Stock jetting didn't work for me, I yet have time to work on it (this weekend were moving, so sometime next week after were all settled in).

Check out these: (And I highly reccommend you do these)

http://www.transworl...1012822,00.html
http://www.transworl...,663693,00.html
http://www.transworl...,700369,00.html
http://www.transworl...1018579,00.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NOMADAK

Posted May 08, 2006 - 12:43 PM

The OEM service manual is way better than any clymers manual. It has everything in it you'll ever need concering the bike. I doubt clymers would even have a 06 manual out yet. I rode on my stock chain for about 2 hours before my aftermarket chain arrived, I had no issues.

I would get the chain and jets ordered before going to get the bike though, if I had it to do all over again!

• feti

Posted May 08, 2006 - 05:44 PM

Thanks again guys. I decided to go early and pick it up tonight. I love it. Coming from a Banshee, it's like riding a bull instead of a roadrunner. It's amazing. I'm still a bit amazed at the power, since I never had low-end before. I have to tame it a bit before I release the juice!

Also, due to the shear beast that it is, after it's warmed up for a few minutes and the choke removed, it makes sense that it won't idle too long right? It expects to be ridden and going, cause it seems to stall a few seconds after it's warmed up and I turn the choke off.

• barch88

Posted May 08, 2006 - 05:48 PM

Thanks again guys. I decided to go early and pick it up tonight. I love it. Coming from a Banshee, it's like riding a bull instead of a roadrunner. It's amazing. I'm still a bit amazed at the power, since I never had low-end before. I have to tame it a bit before I release the juice!

Also, due to the shear beast that it is, after it's warmed up for a few minutes and the choke removed, it makes sense that it won't idle too long right? It expects to be ridden and going, cause it seems to stall a few seconds after it's warmed up and I turn the choke off.

Glad you like it, now grease it all up with those links I gave you.

It should idle after the choke is gone, you may need to adjust your idle screw (metal one right on side of carb, connected to a hose).

• kawirider

Posted May 08, 2006 - 05:55 PM

, it makes sense that it won't idle too long right? It expects to be ridden and going, cause it seems to stall a few seconds after it's warmed up and I turn the choke off.

That is one of the good things about 4 strokes. They will idle in gear all day long . You dont have to constantly blip the throttle like you do on a 2 stroke. Just turn the little black knob on the side of your carburator to turn the idle up.

• feti

Posted May 08, 2006 - 06:22 PM

One thing I noticed is the steering. Coming from a quad, it seems a bit different (obviously, please save me the flame). It almost feels like the angle is too much, like I need to adjust the forks so they come up through the clamps a bit more. Does this make any sense or am I just blabbering?

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 08, 2006 - 09:22 PM

yes, most guys bring them up 5mm. It helps. Also alot of guys go with 10mm taller bars. That helps too.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 08, 2006 - 09:23 PM

Also be sure to check your sag. :crazy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.