WR400 w/ Stock Pipe

2 replies to this topic
  • JMwr400

Posted May 08, 2006 - 09:11 AM

I recently picked up a WR400. It is bone stock (only 86 miles on it!) with the stock pipe. The bike will only run with the baffle pulled out. With it in, it won't idle and keeps wanting to die every time I blip the throttle. The baffle seems to be blocking the exhaust flow to the point that the engine won't even run. With out it, it runs awesome....but LOUD!!! Actually I really like the sound, but I don't want to tick of my neighbors, so I'd like to quiet it down. I'm thinking of cutting the baffle down to get some more exhaust flow. Has anyone had any luck doing this?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jim-in-so-ore

Posted May 08, 2006 - 10:45 AM

Get yourself either a Pro Moto Billet or GYT R insert for the stock pipe. It will quiet it down but give you reasonable power. It dies because it is choked down so bad. You will probably have to re jet.
Jim

• WRider995

Posted May 08, 2006 - 08:55 PM

I recently picked up a WR400. It is bone stock (only 86 miles on it!) with the stock pipe. The bike will only run with the baffle pulled out. With it in, it won't idle and keeps wanting to die every time I blip the throttle. The baffle seems to be blocking the exhaust flow to the point that the engine won't even run. With out it, it runs awesome....but LOUD!!! Actually I really like the sound, but I don't want to tick of my neighbors, so I'd like to quiet it down. I'm thinking of cutting the baffle down to get some more exhaust flow. Has anyone had any luck doing this?

I've got the same machine with an FMF powercore IV muffler with the stock headpipe. I had a powerbomb on there and jetting it was a problem, so it's back to stock. The FMF muffler is LOUD - definitely don't get one if you have sensitive neighbors. You'll need to uncork it, do a search in this forum for free mods and you'll come up with a ton. Unlike you, mine has THOUSANDS of miles on it with no signs of wear. You'll love that thing....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.