changing front brake line - '02 YZ426F

10 replies to this topic
  • CampCounty4Fifty

Posted May 08, 2006 - 08:45 AM

hey guys, I did a search and did not find it (found brake pads, but not brake line). The OEM line on the 426 is got a tear on the outer cover, and white plastic has some scuffs, etc. I am thinking about replacing it with a galfer steel line....? I have never done this :crazy:

2 questions:

1.) How hard is changing the front brake line, bleeding, etc etc..?

2.) Does anyone have any feedback on the steel braded Galfer lines ?

Thanks in advance TT,

You guys are the best.

Posted May 08, 2006 - 12:43 PM

I recently changed the front brake line on my 02 426. I went with the Ride Engineering CR style steel braided brake line kit, $99.95 from Motosport Outlet

Changing the line out was easy and I used a mity vac to bleed the line. I suppose you could pump the lever, hold it in and open the bleed valve several times to get the air out.
Once you have the air out then zip tie the lever back as far as possible and leave it over night. The next day clip of the zip tie and the lever will be firmer. Seems that with the lever pulled back over night allows the last bit of air to escape out of the line and master cylinder.

Greg
02' YZF426
Spring, Tx.

• SureBlue

Posted May 08, 2006 - 01:07 PM

http://mysite.verizo...ake_fluids.html
http://www.transworl...,927248,00.html

• 2fastwhitey

Posted May 08, 2006 - 09:05 PM

I changed mine out recently to the CR style as well and also changed the master cylinder to a CR 450F master and WOW!! I have front brakes!! Its worth it if you got the extra $40-50 bucks.

The procedure above will work, I blead mine over and over and over for about an hour and got all the air out of the line. It was well worth it.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 08, 2006 - 10:25 PM

It's a worthwhile upgrade for sure. If you don't have a mityvac, go to a vet supply or pet supply store and get a large syringe, then get some plastic tubing from a hardware store. Fill the master cylinder with fluid, put one end of the tubing on the syringe and the other end on the bleeder valve. Open the bleeder and use the syringe to pull the fluid through the line and into the caliper. When I did this mod on my 00 (with the CRF master cylinder) I spent quite a bit of time pumping away and never getting anywhere until I did this... took about 15 minutes after I started getting fluid out. Good luck, you'll be pleasantly suprised with your new brakes. BTW, look up oldblue and get one of his clamps (if he's still making them) for the fork guard- trick and affordable :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FTT

Posted May 09, 2006 - 04:51 PM

I recently put a braided hose on mine. Took about 1 hour fror the front, less for the rear. I used my vaccum bleeder then pressure bled it. No problem. Don't know about Galfer hoses, I used a Russell withou any issues.

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2006 - 05:37 PM

Mine took no more than 20 minutes to bleed using....gravity. Fill the reservoir, leave the top off, open the bleeder and watch the air run out. Also watch the fluid level. Keep adding so that no new air gets in. Almost effortless, when you can get it to work.

Sometimes, you may have to break the air bubble blocking the fluid from flowing past the master cylinder screen by flicking the lever through the first 10mm or so of the stroke with the bleeder closed. Bubbles will pop up from the screen. When they slow or get very small, open the bleeder and watch the fluid drain.

Once the fluid draining from the bleeder is clear, close it, tickle another little bubble or two out the top, fill it up and you're done.

• jermy01

Posted May 09, 2006 - 10:25 PM

i got SS galfer line with the CR routing. i ended up getting the lightspeed fork guards to properly hold the line in place with out hitting anything. i cant believe they actually would make the line go under the fork, sliced mine on a rock. i just bled as you would bleed a normal brake system and works fine.

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2006 - 07:13 AM

i cant believe they actually would make the line go under the fork, sliced mine on a rock.

Japanese patent law allows you to patent almost anything. Honda patented the routing of their brake lines while they were still prototyping hydraulic front brakes, and refused to license anyone else to do it that way. The patent has now run out.

Your brake line should have had a cover over it, and it should have been routed through a protective channel in the fork lug.

• jermy01

Posted May 10, 2006 - 09:02 AM

ya, it was through the channel, but i think the Previous owner took off the protective cover, anyways i dont have to worry about taht anymore. cheap mod (got the brake line for free)

• essex426

Posted May 10, 2006 - 12:06 PM

hey guys, I did a search and did not find it (found brake pads, but not brake line). The OEM line on the 426 is got a tear on the outer cover, and white plastic has some scuffs, etc. I am thinking about replacing it with a galfer steel line....? I have never done this :crazy:

2 questions:

1.) How hard is changing the front brake line, bleeding, etc etc..?

2.) Does anyone have any feedback on the steel braded Galfer lines ?

Thanks in advance TT,

You guys are the best.

Why not make your own braided lines, if you can use a hacksaw its easy.Made one for my 426 and routed it like the honda one.Back bleed it with a syringe.Sorted.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.